• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MIN CHARGE FOR A .45 CAL FLINTLOCK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghartung

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I WANT TO KNOW HOW LOW I CAN GO FOR A MAIN CHARGE, WANT TO GO AS LOW AS POSSIABLE FOR RABBITS & TREE RATS.

I've shot 20 grains of fffg before in a .45 and in a .50. The trick is getting the elevation right. Of course for squirrels and rabbits you won't be making any 50 yard shots. You might be able to go to 15 grains. I wouldn't shoot a woodchuck anywhere but in the head with 20 grains of powder and a .45. They are tougher.

I also have seen a guy get a ramrod stuck when cleaning and shoot it out by trickling powder into a drum on a percu$$ion gun. Not a lot of powder, a heavy projectile, and 70 yards of flight. So it would not take much to get the ball out of the barrel.

Using capitals is akin to shouting on the internet and some people find it very unsettling.
: 20gr. in a .45 or .50 will work just fine on head shots for squirrels or rabbits out to 25yds. of so. We generally use full target charges of 50gr. to 80gr. for snowshoe rabbits when we hunt them in march, wearing snowshoes ourselves. The reason is for accuracy for the sometimes longer shots of 50 yards. Most rifles are more accurate at the longer ranges with a bit more than minimal charges.

I began shooting 2F in my 45 (cos that's what I had), and found 40 gr to be good to about 25 yds, then rapidly fell after after that. I guess that's about 30 or 35 gr 3F. I can't imagine using less than that unless you're short on powder, or unless you think that's going to make more of a mess than a smaller load - personally I'd go for the slightly larger load with a slightly better chance of an accurate head shot!
I now use 3F and shoot 50 gr and am in the process of zeroing in at 50 yds, but I think that might be my optimum target load (maybe 45 gr will do).
All this in my humble inexperienced opinion after only a few hundred rounds.

Using capitals is akin to shouting on the internet and some people find it very unsettling.
NOW HEAR THIS......WAUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :crackup:

I WANT TO KNOW HOW LOW I CAN GO FOR A MAIN CHARGE, WANT TO GO AS LOW AS POSSIABLE FOR RABBITS & TREE RATS.

If it'll toot it out of the end of the barrel, it's enough to shoot something...

5 grains of powder will pop the ball out of the end of the muzzle, but will it be good for hunting???

You must keep in mind: "Is it powerful enough for a humane kill?"

There is a lower limit (ethically speaking) to what you should use on game...

Back