• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mini ball twist?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a .50 mini ball mould and would like to shoot some minnis out of my flinter. How much twist do you need? My rifle has a 1:55 twist. Too much? Too little?

I would say on the high side of too little...

In my opinion, 1-55" is about half way between round balls and bullets, best bet is to try them and see for your self...

Like MM said try them. 1-55 sounds like a PRB barrel. I have had poor experence with any thing but round balls in my slow twist barrels. But I like PRB,s best anyway. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Minni's aren't the most accurate bullet in the first place in my experience.
I'm no expert but what I've read from others and experienced myself they are next to impossible to get accurate.
I shot a few out of my .54 caliber 1:48 twist and couldn't even hit paper at 50 yards.
I've heard many guys say they have to paper patch minni's to get them to group at all.
Barrel twist may be one of the smallest problems you have when shooting minni's.
Just my opinion :)

Huntin

Back