• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

minie ball 1st shot issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
damron said:
both times the issue was the first shot.I guess i should be happy it was 2 out of 500 like you said!!

George

Two things come to mind. First, are you sure of your bore size? Your bullet could be undersize for the fist shot, after which fouling helps you out. Second, If your Enfield is British built, it has progressive rifling with very deep grooves at the breech end. You could be getting blow by. Assuming your minie is the right size for the bore, try seating the minie with a few taps with the ramrod to flare the skirt a bit into the grooves.

Duane

I have a PH musketoon and had a 3 band PH. Both rifles used the same load and both broke many targets at N-SSA shoots. 50 and 100 yards, offhand shooting.
I am using 44 grains FFFg and a 500 grain minie, cast by me, dipped into a mixture of beeswax and crisco.
Try using different amounts of powder. Groups will open or close, depending on your powder charge.

Mooman76 said:
I'm thinking because you got that fouling shot that tighten things up a hair. Most guns shoot different after the first shot, even smokeless.

This ^ ^ ^

My M1863 Springfield and both Trapdoors do the same. Don't know if it's because the fouling tightens things up, or the barrel warms up / expands a little, or both.

Latest posts

Back