• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minimum Caliber for wild boar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive got lots of videos of me shooting them with bows, however on this forumn i want to show what a traditional muzzleloader can do, having spent some range time this last month when the rain broke i believe a traditional muzzleloader can be a very effective tool in harvesting these critters. its not hard to get into the heart area the higher up you go on the hog the thicker and tougher it becomes. even on a big hog the vitals are small, the size of the lungs would really surprise you. as stated i believe a patched roundball can dispatch the biggest of boars with proper shot placement. i plan on working up a good patched roundball load for my .54 for now i have them both sighted in with hornady great plains 425

I recently took a 175ish sow hog from 50 ft with a round ball fired from a 10 inch barell new army cap and ball revolver.ball went high behind the shoulder thru a rib and both lungs and came to a rest just under the hide opisite side.sow ran 15 ft dropped stone dead.moral is,shot placement is paramount to a quick kill.dont get me wrong,i shot at the first hog twice and missed got the second on the third shot.aint no expert just sayin miss by a mm is as good as an ocean.if you hit it in the hoof with a howitzer u still hit in the hoof

Back