• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mink oil in the spring?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbwilliams3

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Is mink oil effective in conditions other than cold weather? Does it melt in hot weather? I haven’t used it yet except for when it was in the 30’s and 40’s

I've used it all year round in Texas, from cold to hot weather, never a problem. I use pillow ticking and just rub it in.

Once Spring rolls into the heat of the Summer, I'll store it in the fridge. If/when temps > 85 or so, I personally switch to Hoppe's Black Powder Patch Solvent that Roundball
turned me on to.

Mink Oil, like that in the tins from Track of the Wolf (TOW) will run if left in the heat of a hot vehicle ... But it is AWESOME as a ccccccold weather lube!

If you rub the oil into, say a strip of patch material, or pre-cut patches, how long will it stay good before needing to lube again? I ask because I once lubed a few inches of ticking that was tied to my pouch and used some of it in the woods- a few days later, the next time I picked up my bag, the ticking was dry- does this happen with mink oil?

FWIW - All of the mink oil I have checked on (via there MSDS) doesn't come from minks - the various formulas are based on good old pig lard as the base with various additives - mostly pertroleum distillates.
Lard is a lot cheaper and works great even when cold.....gues that makes me a "pork shooter" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Certainly most commercial grade mink oil is not necessarily the product of minks (they’re also adding in silicone, etc.), but good old fashion mink oil most certainly is the procured from the fat of minks. Whether or not it works better than lard or other lard-like substitutes I don’t know. I do know that my particular rifle seems to like it more than most other lubes I have tried, including lard. Be sure not to invite any Semitics to shoot with you if you’re using lard! The Brits found that out the hard way with some of their Semite colonial troops”¦.

jbwilliams said:
If you rub the oil into, say a strip of patch material, or pre-cut patches, how long will it stay good before needing to lube again? I ask because I once lubed a few inches of ticking that was tied to my pouch and used some of it in the woods- a few days later, the next time I picked up my bag, the ticking was dry- does this happen with mink oil?

JB, I lube strips of ticking, roll them up and store it in an old metal bandaid can in my shooting box. I just pull out a roll, unroll it and cut at the muzzle. I've never had to relube any. I've had long periods of not shooting (a couple of years due to deployments/assignments in the Army) and when I finally got to the range, I checked my shooting supplies prior to going out, the ticking was still good to go, it smelled a little ripe, but still worked. I've used mink oil that I got in shoe departments and stuff from TOW, it's all worked fine for me.
Chris

They had a bigger problem than the Semites in India with the local troops. The Muslims would not tear cartridges lubed with pig fat and the Hindus would not tear them if they were lubed with beef fat. What to do? I guess they must have resorted to mutton fat, they are big sheep eaters anyway. :hmm:

Gray Wolf said:
FWIW - All of the mink oil I have checked on (via there MSDS) doesn't come from minks - the various formulas are based on good old pig lard as the base with various additives - mostly pertroleum distillates.
Lard is a lot cheaper and works great even when cold.....gues that makes me a "pork shooter" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Gray Wolf,
Have you checked the mink oil tallow from TOW. Was going to order some. They say it's real mink oil tallow but, if thats not the real stuff, I'd rather use lard.

Thanks for any info.
John Ezra

No I have not - I would aks for verification if so inclined.

FWIW - I've trapped a couple of thousand mink over the years and I'm still scratching my head over where they can get that amount of tallow off a mink's body to turn into oil :confused: they are real skinny little suckers with little to no fat - maybe the ones they breed are different? But I'm always willing to learn....

Back