• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Miroku Model 1861 Springfield Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,are you still in market for the miroku 1861 I have three up for sale pm if still interested

Bobby Cornerstone, you're the same scammer that was banned last week, Edward311, and you're still in Nigeria.
You're incredibly bad at crime. Go find something else to do. Don't come back

BANNED

LD

I might have what you are looking for. It is a Dixie Gun Works Repro marked 1863 on the lock. I have read ( I believe ) that the 1861 model carried through to the 1863 year markings with upgrades and modifications. If I am wrong , please correct me. My wheelhouse is 1892 to 1899 Krag unmentionables.

long story short, I bought this from a gun show with sling and bayonet in the early nineties when I thought reenacting might be for me. One day of Alabama summer drill in wool let me know that it was not going to happen. I have not shot this gun but the previous owner very well might have. I mentioned In a PM with a NSSA member here locally that I would part with it. He responded to my pictures and told me it is a Miroku. I do not make this claim because I am too lazy ( I mean busy) to take it apart to look for Japanese markings unless I must because of an interest in buying it. If you think this might interest you, post here and I will get photos up for your inspection ( even complying with rule 32 or is it 23)

If it is a miroku you should see made in japan marked on the left side of the breech
Miroku Made in Japan.jpg

Looking for a Miroku 1861 in good to great condition.

Thank you!
I know you asked for a 1861, but there is a Miroku 1863 Springfield for sale on Guns International right now for $1250.

There is also an Armi Sport 1861 Springfield up for auction on Gun Broker.

Last edited:
Well, now you got me curious so I took the rifle apart hoping there was a stamp on the inside of the lock since there are no markings whatever on the other parts except for the following : (1) on the outside of the lock the Springfield eagle and "U.S. SPRINGFIELD" and behind the hammer "1863". (2) on the tang DIXIE GUNWORKS UNION CITY TN and (3) in the same location as your photo the serial no. " 2300". (4) on the drum (if thats the right term) with the nipple there is a Springfield eagle.
Nothing else on the gun exists indicating any country of origin, MFG, Caliber, proofs, date code or any other marking I can see. Perhaps it was defarbed ??? The lock plate is a very thick and robust piece. The barrel looks to have the same curves in the area your photo depicts. You obviously know more than I . Additionally, I'm not invested emotionally in what brand the gun is except now I'm curious so I'm going to photograph it in pieces to post later and see if some wise and kind member might share their expertise and clear up the mystery.

Well, now you got me curious so I took the rifle apart hoping there was a stamp on the inside of the lock since there are no markings whatever on the other parts except for the following : (1) on the outside of the lock the Springfield eagle and "U.S. SPRINGFIELD" and behind the hammer "1863". (2) on the tang DIXIE GUNWORKS UNION CITY TN and (3) in the same location as your photo the serial no. " 2300". (4) on the drum (if thats the right term) with the nipple there is a Springfield eagle.
Nothing else on the gun exists indicating any country of origin, MFG, Caliber, proofs, date code or any other marking I can see. Perhaps it was defarbed ??? The lock plate is a very thick and robust piece. The barrel looks to have the same curves in the area your photo depicts. You obviously know more than I . Additionally, I'm not invested emotionally in what brand the gun is except now I'm curious so I'm going to photograph it in pieces to post later and see if some wise and kind member might share their expertise and clear up the mystery.
If it was defarbed there wouldn't be the Dixie Gunworks markings.

That's what I thought. But then we are left with the mystery of no other markings. Unless the OP chimes in again, I'm going to let it lie so as not to hijack his wanted ad into a discussion. But Gen'ral, When I put this and photos in another post please feel free to comment.

I don't know who made those for Dixie but I found this thread.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/dixie-1861-springfield.202161/

It is unclear to me why Miroku is mentioned a few times in that thread. I am sure someone knows.

Back in the '90s, Dixie sold the 1861 and the 1863 Miroku made Springfields. They even had special prices for nonprofit groups, like my reenactment unit. I bought three kits for our members.

Looking for a Miroku 1861 in good to great condition.

Thank you!
I got one some years back; they got a great write-up in The Civil War Musket Lock Stock & Barrel book. What happened was this; at one point Dixie sent around one of their newspaper-type flyers...there they had some listed available. (This was after reading about them and learning that they were no longer made). Lo and Behold, I ordered one for about $600, and when it came, the S.N. was #0013! meaning that the tooling to make them was new and sharp at the time of mfg. Dixie told me on the phone that they "found" a lot of them, who knows how many? This was about 20 years ago. Sometimes I luck out, and am called Gladstone by some! No luck on a 'big' lottery ticket, though! :confused:

Last edited:
Why specifically a Miroku made 1861? The Pedersoli version seems pretty good to me, plus Pedersoli's stocks are made of walnut, most of Miroku's were birch.
I don't see the pedersoli come up too often for sale, but a new pedersoli is definitely an option.

Why specifically a Miroku made 1861? The Pedersoli version seems pretty good to me, plus Pedersoli's stocks are made of walnut, most of Miroku's were birch.
OK. If you see the review in the book The Civil War Musket; Lock, Stock, & Barrel, Craig Barry remarks that the '61 Miroku is "better in every possible way" to other repros. The shape of the stock & butt, AND the flash channel's being so close to the originals. It's very close to picking up an original, mint copy.

Back