• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Missed one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorren68

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had my Hawken out for the hunt, loaded with 90gr FFg, felt wad and a home cast Lee R.E.A.L. bullet. i had a doe in a field at the edge of the woods, so I put the stalk on. I got closer and she finaly spotted me, I thought I was farther away than I was and I shot over her back. Man was I mad at myself, I got so caught up in the hunt that I did not realize how close I actually got. I was so excited I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest, this is so different from hunting with a centerfire gun, reminds me alot of hunting with traditional archery equipment. I am HOOKED!

At least you got a shot. I didn't even get to shoot my rifle until it was time to clear the barrel this year.

From my rabit hunting days I know that you have to focus and calm yourself to hunt succesfully. If you are all in the moment and your heart is racing your judgement and aim will be off. Next time take a moment to center yourself and slow down your heart.

:doh: That's tough.There will be other days.Good luck on your next shot.Griz

cynthialee said:
If you are all in the moment and your heart is racing your judgement and aim will be off.
Next time take a moment to center yourself and slow down your heart.
:grin: ...intellectually I know that's correct of course, but knocking on 67 now I've looked down the sights at some deer and I swear a good buck up close still gets my heart pounding to this day.
:wink:

roundball said:
cynthialee said:
If you are all in the moment and your heart is racing your judgement and aim will be off.
:grin: ...intellectually I know that's correct of course, but knocking on 67 now I've looked down the sights at some deer and I swear a good buck up close still gets my heart pounding to this day.
I get that way over a simple bunny....
:haha:

cynthialee said:
roundball said:
cynthialee said:
I too have killed lots of deer (and other fine game as well) over the years,a couple that any man would be proud of and I still get this feeling as well. I say the day your heart stops racing when you have game in your sights is the day you have lost touch with the true meaning of the hunt.

cynthialee said:
roundball said:
cynthialee said:

And me :haha:

All this range time is fine but I do like a shot or two at things whilst actually dreaming it is a critter large or small.

Always was good at dreaming! :hatsoff:

Brits.

Being in Georgia you will get many more chances. That's truly a great state for deer hunters.

Sorry you missed, but I would take a good stalk and a miss over a hurried bad shot, a long blood trail and coming back empty handed any day. Sounds like it was really a lot of fun and an education for you and the deer. Take care.

I am ok with the miss. I got into this because I was tired of the "BANG FLOP" of modern center fire hunting. I no longer got excited over a deer when I was hunting with my centerfire rifle, I guess it got too easy, I wanted to put the "HUNT" back in huting.

I've had about the same proportion of "bang-flops" with prb as with modern rifles. A well placed prb is absolutely NOT a slow killer.

I was not refering to the ability of the modern projectiles ability to kill quicker,better, or more dead, my refrence was to the see the deer shoot the deer. With a modern scoped, well set up rifle, if I could see them I could kill them. I first saw the deer at close to 135 yards, with a modern rifle click goes the safety, bang goes the gun, and flop goes the deer. Sneaking across the dirt road to put the edge of the hill between me and the deer, and then closing the distance on her to the point that I could see her eyes and expression change, when she finally figured out that there was a new bump on the side of the hill. That is what got my heart to thumping and my mind all screwed up, if I could have just remembered I closed the distance, maybe the outcome would have been different.

Sounds like you had a good time to me.
The stock can be the best part.
Been there done that on deer and turkey. Sometimes it works out sometimes it don't.

Back