• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mississippi Rifle Loading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I have a question and figured someone here might know the answer.

I have been thinking about purchasing a Pedersoli made M1841 Mississippi rifle in .54 caliber as I love the looks and history of the gun, and having a .54 round ball rifle is just more practical and economical for me vs. a .58 rifle shooting Minie balls.

I know the Mississippi rifle was originally in .54 caliber, with many re-bored to .58 caliber later on to take the Minies. Once re-bored, they would have been loaded with paper cartridges I'm sure, just like every other rifled musket on the battlefield.

But how were they loaded in the original .54 caliber? I know they used a round ball and I've read some reports that it was linen wrapped or something like that, but their seems to be very little info on the subject on the internet.

So just how were the original .54 cal Mississippi rifles loaded in battle? With loose balls and a powder horn, or with it's own cartridge? What accessories and ammunition pouches would the soldier have for loading?

Thanks so much for helping everyone!!

Earl Burlin

A double pouch was issued for the Mississippi. One compartment held loose ball and the white buff shoulder strap was split to attach to a large brass powder flask. I suspect the soldier carried prepared paper cartridges with a round ball in addition as this practice goes back well before the F&I War.
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L10

Last edited by a moderator:
The original load was a round ball and 75 grains FFFG as I recall. Mine shoots very well loaded that way using a pillow ticking patch.

In the back of Dixie Gunworks catalog there is a lot of information.

In this, they say the .54 U.S. Mississippi Rifles were loaded with a .535 diameter ball over a 75 grain 3F powder load.

Some of the information given in the back of Dixie's catalogs like soaking wooden ramrods in coal oil is questionable but their tables on loads, shot size, guage sizes etc generally is accurate.

If I were to question the load they show for the '41 Mississippi it would be the 3F powder they mention.

I'm pretty sure all of the military shoulder arms during this period were shooting powder we would call 2F.

While I honestly don't know how they were loaded historically, I ordered one from Jarnigans over 12 years ago and load it with a .530" ball, .016" ticking over 60 grains of 3F for a target load. Mine shoots 1.25" 5 shot groups at 60 yards. These are wonderful rifles and take down deer nicely.

Back