• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mixing black powder with Triple 7

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your using a BP starter charge ....why not just use a full BP charge and be done with it...I find 777 is a pain in the ass to clean...my BP cleans with a little gojo and some water... :idunno:

Two reasons.First,I have five pounds of 777 and I need to use it.Second,777 patterned better than Goex BP.I would rather use strictly BP in time but there may be times that I'm unable to get BP.777 can be found at any Gander Mt. Or Academy.Also,it would be nice just to be able to shoot either one with confidence by having the right load.I'm still very new at this and have much to learn.8

No matter what your reasons are, mixing quantities of different powders is not safe unless it has been tested and found to be so. Some black powder cartridge shooters use a tiny amount of smokeless in their black powder cartridges to reduce fouling. It also seems to make velocities a bit more consistent. But, there is a lot of difference between a muzzle loader and a BP cartridge gun. Any way, if you try it, have your survivors post a report on what happened. I am being facetious, of course, but why take a chance?

Howdy!

Ok, cap lock.
:doh:

One thing you might consider is your 777 powder being the issue with hang fires, and not the gun itself. Try a different batch of it, see if that helps. Switch to BP and see if it goes away.

Back when I still shot cap locks, I had a can of synthetic that went bad on me with hang fires and miss fires. Switching powder is all I needed.

Hope this helps.

Seems like I read somewhere that mixing certain powders can cause a detonation. in other words gun and you may go boom!
If you value your life and limbs at least call Hodgon and ask them what would happen.
For me the potential risk far outwieghs the potential bennefit. :td:

"Someone mentioned using about ten grains of Goex in front of 777 to prevent hangfire"

Just do this, no other stuff needed. WORKS. If two "dumpings" of powder is too slow just carry the BP in a field flask with a 10 grain spout (careful if dumping from flask, better to dump in yer palm and pour in to avoid gernade type end of duck season).)

This is what worked for me. I planned on using 777 from the get go, so I bought Hot Shot nipples and Remington "40% hotter" (essentially magnum) #11s...and still, I got powBANG every time. So I measured the holes in the nipples and found they were a tiny .028". On advise from Britsmoothy here, I enlarged them with a tiny drill bit to around .035". Now, I get BANG every time. Brit says to enlarge as much as .04".

I believe this entire thread should be deleted and put in the same no-no :nono: category as making black powder.
When you start mixing things that go bang you are entering a new and dangerously unpredictable world. :shocked2:

The duplex loads are a tried and true procedure for making a substitute powder work in a flintlock but I have never heard of anyone mixing them together. When it comes to explosives, I don't want to be the first to try anything. It might work.......might work. Then there is that possibility that you have come up with a mixture that is greater than the sum of its parts. That's when eyes, fingers and other body parts become endangered. Not my cup of tea. :nono: I wouldn't do it. If you have to use substitute powders in your flintlock, stick to the tried and true duplex loads. We know they are safe and effective. :thumbsup:

Ray Johnson said:
I thought I would start a different thread on this.I'm getting better patterns with 777 than real black powder.Someone mentioned using about ten grains of Goex in front of 777 to prevent hangfire.Would it hurt to mix a whole pound of 777 with real black powder.Has anyone done it?Would it be dangerous in any way?I could get the best of both worlds maybe.Better patterns with no hangfire.So what do y'all think?

Switch to a shotgun that uses a 209 primer.

Dan

Latest posts

Back