• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ML Care

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul f

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is it asking too much of Wonder Lube/TC Bore Butter to be the all around (patch lube, cleaner, metal/wood preservative) gun care product it claims to be? I have used this as a patch lube as well as a small amount beneath the patch -like a grease cookie- when target shooting with excellent results and good softening of fouling.
To this point I have not really noticed barrel deterioration when using this to coat the barrel after either solvent or hot soapy water clean-up.
Should I be using a petroleum-based product as well and is there any problem with such combination.

Paul I also like T/C bore butter inside and outside of the barrel the only drawback is it is extremely stiff in cool weather I am just about straight across the state from you so our weather is pretty much the same. during huntin season I dry patch never noticed a bit of diffference in accuracy if I hunted in the south I would continue to use bore butter. I do use it in early squirrel season in .32 cal great product otherwise
weasel

paul f: I have been using WonderLube/BoreButter/Remington lube for years and it always works well for me. Of course it doesn't get real cold here in Phoenix.
I don't use it for my final wiping of the bore after cleaning but I don't know why it wouldn't work fine. I usually use Sheath and a paste wax follow up.

A number of years ago there was a movement aginst petroleum products. I never saw anyone give a reason for it and maybe someone on this Forum can enlighten us as to what is so Bad about them. (I for one hope it isn't the old "It will pollute our environment and we'll all die" thing because the small amount envolved won't IMO make a dam bit of difference.)

Try Ballistol.
No petro chemicals, all natural. Cleans, oils, and is the best patch lube around. Will not hurt stocks, is actually good for wood and leather.
Bore butter (if I remember correctly) is mainly olive oil. Probably best used on salads.
wink.gif

ballistol seems to be getting pretty popular, it is a coal tar dirivitive, most commercial bore butters are paraffin based,(the kind of paraffin made from peroleum) I have mixed and matched natural patch lubes with water cleaning and solvent cleaning and"natural" bore protection and "gun oil' bore protection and really think they wil all work well if a thourough job of cleaning and drying is done. when it comes to all the manufactures claims and boasts I suggest you follow the advise in The Wizard of Oz and ignore the man behind the curtain.

I've been using Bore Butter (Natural Lube) 1000 as a patch lube and T/C #13 as a cleaning solvent. After cleaning I run a patch smeared in Bore Butter to protect the bores. So far the results have been very good. I use BreakFree on a rag to rub the outside metal.

I believe the Bore Butter type of protectants vs. petroleum products follow the seasoned iron skillet school of thought. A layer of grease prevents oxidation while producing a slick - and therefore easier to load - bore. The petroleum base solvents and oils penetrate and break down the grease coating. I will testify that in my T/C rifles I can shoot repeat shots with patched round balls without between shot wiping and I never could before I switched. I still run a cotton patch with #13 solvent every five shots or so just for consistency and old times sake.

Ditto on the natural lube 1000 Stumpkiller, it's all I use...even with flintlocks and Goex the prelubed wonderwads & patches let me shoot an entire 35-50 shot range session without wiping the bore at all...just keep the flint, frizzen, pan, and vent clean...makes the range trip a lot more fun not having to spend a lot of time also cleaning the bore

Back