• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ML hunter numbers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpbvs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how the numbers of muzzle loader hunters have increased in the past 10 or so years. First of all I'm not sour about it just curious. I asked a bunch of friends of mine that have taken up the sport in the past few years or switched to inlines if they would have to use prb guns would they hunt with them all said they realy didn't think they would, all commented that the inlines shoot like high powered rifles.
I started back in the early 80's with 50cal TC hawken prb not many muzzleloader hunters in southeast Iowa then, the numbers have realy increased since inlines came out. I now use a 53cal uberti hawken prb and have no intention of switching at all.
Like to here what other hunters think.

Sometime in the late 60's or early 70's I was entering the woods in upstate NY in the Fulton chain of lakes area, I don't recall exactly where, might have been seventh or eighth lake, bug lake, in there...I met a man leaving a small tin tepee. He was dressed in buckskins and carrying a longrifle. Therewas no blaze orange rule in those days, we all dressed in the traditional red and black check mackinaw, a few fashion plates chose the green and black. I said to this fellow that I admired him greatly, but I had enough trouble getting deer with my 300 savage, never mind a muzzleloader. He was the only man I ever encountered until the nineties with a frontstuffer.Little did I know some day that would be all I would shoot. Good smoke, ron in Fl

I think numbers have increased because of the increased population of people who hunt and the special muzzleloader seasons.

If every state adopted traditional muzzleloading hunts the numbers probably wouldnt be as high but there are lots of people that would still do it.

I post alot over at alaskaoutdoors forums. There is interest in "muzzleloaders" butof the inline modern persauation. we only have a couple of muzzleloader hunts so intrest isnt that high.

So in summary there is an increase in "muzzleloader" hunter numbers but not because of a rekindled sense of history or tradition. But looked on as another way to go kill something at a specific time.

On a positive note of that, inlines and special seasons are have what led me down the path to the traditional route. The last two seasons I have pretty much only used my muzzleloaders. One black bear hunt and one rabbit hunt were my only strays.

So take heart that others might be led here in the same fashion. I hope so. I belong to the local muzzleloader club here and I am the youngest member by far (im 31)

Unfortunately, I think most of the muzzleloader hunters out there are not like you. They have not and will never give up their inline muzzleloaders to adopt traditional guns. To them muzzleloaders are just another way to get an additional hunting season. Take it from me, a guy who closely follows the number of drawing permit applications for our few muzzleloader hunts here in Alaska. The traditional muzzleloading community here is very small but the number of folks who apply for the hunts is not. I assume that you've completed the state muzzleloader hunting certification...did you qualify with a traditional gun or a modern inline? The state doesn't even give you a choice...you must use a state provided inline gun to take the shooting proficiency test.

There are only two muzzleloading hunts out there that do not get a large number of applications only because the areas are either inaccessable (DM766) or in the case of the Eagle River Valley bear hunt (RL450)just a poor place to hunt.

Here in Germany ML hunting was not very common because many hunter who were interested thougt that it is forbidden by law. But since I have started getting involved 2 years ago, checking the law situation and recognizing that it isn't forbidden at all, the numbers of interested hunters are rising slow, but they rise for sure. The best thing here in Germany is that you have less restrictions when using a ML, because ML are free at 18 and you don't have to fullfill the bullet energy restrictions, because they are only valid for cartridge rifles. Furthermore you can use the ML through the complete hunting season for all game.

Regards

Kirrmeister

alaskasmoker said:
I think numbers have increased because of the increased population of people who hunt and the special muzzleloader seasons.

If every state adopted traditional muzzleloading hunts the numbers probably wouldnt be as high but there are lots of people that would still do it.

I post alot over at alaskaoutdoors forums. There is interest in "muzzleloaders" butof the inline modern persauation. we only have a couple of muzzleloader hunts so intrest isnt that high.

So in summary there is an increase in "muzzleloader" hunter numbers but not because of a rekindled sense of history or tradition. But looked on as another way to go kill something at a specific time.

On a positive note of that, inlines and special seasons are have what led me down the path to the traditional route. The last two seasons I have pretty much only used my muzzleloaders. One black bear hunt and one rabbit hunt were my only strays.

So take heart that others might be led here in the same fashion. I hope so. I belong to the local muzzleloader club here and I am the youngest member by far (im 31)

I agree. But there's a fat little gold nugget in Alaska's laws. You're not allowed to use scopes, so there's no real advantage to inlines.

I've had real good luck converting friends and acquaintances to traditional guns. All you have to do is invite them to shoot with you, and often. And be sure to shoot a whole lot while you're out with them. They get to see how much fun and how easy the traditionals are, even as they're going broke feeding dozens and dozens of pellets and sabots to their inlines. Pretty quick they're shooting RBs and conicals with loose powder from their inlines. And next thing you know they pick up a traditional. And another and another and......

It isn't going to contaminate any of us to target shoot with the inline folks. NEVER put them down for using an inline, either. Just have fun with yours and let them make up their own mind. Give it lots of time and a whole lot of shooting, and you'll have another convert on your hands.

There's half a dozen of us that live within a mile of each other and shoot together lots. All who joined started with inlines. And all switched. Pretty darned good record, if you ask me!!!

BrownBear said:
alaskasmoker said:

So take heart that others might be led here in the same fashion. I hope so. I belong to the local muzzleloader club here and I am the youngest member by far (im 31)[/quote]

I agree. But there's a fat little gold nugget in Alaska's laws. You're not allowed to use scopes, so there's no real advantage to inlines.

I've had real good luck converting friends and acquaintances to traditional guns. All you have to do is invite them to shoot with you, and often. And be sure to shoot a whole lot while you're out with them. They get to see how much fun and how easy the traditionals are, even as they're going broke feeding dozens and dozens of pellets and sabots to their inlines. Pretty quick they're shooting RBs and conicals with loose powder from their inlines. And next thing you know they pick up a traditional. And another and another and......

It isn't going to contaminate any of us to target shoot with the inline folks. NEVER put them down for using an inline, either. Just have fun with yours and let them make up their own mind. Give it lots of time and a whole lot of shooting, and you'll have another convert on your hands.

There's half a dozen of us that live within a mile of each other and shoot together lots. All who joined started with inlines. And all switched. Pretty darned good record, if you ask me!!!

AMEN!! :bow: :bow: :hatsoff:

My first ML was a Knight Disc extreme. Got to reading about ML and the next thing I knew, I had four tradtional ML. Last year the Knight was never fired the year before only once. I like the Knight rifle, but enjoy shooting the traditional rifles more. Just wish I had less problems seeing the front sight these days.
So I have to agree with Brown Bear, some of the guys with the new rifles will switch over if those of us with traditional stuff are nice to they and show the way.

An awful lot of these guys are younger. They were latch string kids, and they grew up on the TV, video games and mass advertizing more than parents and grandparents. It's only natural that they believe any hype they read in a magazine or see on a TV show.

But us grandparents figured out a long time ago, just show them how to have fun doing something simple, and they'll follow you around like puppydogs. Criticize them and you'll sound just like their parents. And they'll blow you off just as fast!!!!! :yakyak:

In this modern age, inlines offer some of the conveniences of centerfire rifles....they look similar, have pre-weighed powder packets, use modern primers and "fancy conicals" and can be scope mounted.So, all in all the inline isn't a big jump for the present day hunter because it's nearly a no-brainer. A lot of the inline hunters are more concerned w/ hunting than w/ the rifle used and have no regard for history, etc. While viewing the many phony hunting videos on TV and observing that many of these hunters are using scoped inlines, the question arises...why even bother and why not just use a centerfire? I think the increased number of MLer hunters is directly caused by the hunters who ordinarily wouldn't hunt a MLer season if they had to use a traditional MLer. The Game and Wildlife Depts.of many states are always looking out for the money due to increased sales of hunting licenses and aren't really concerned about the interests of the traditionalists. I for one think that the MLer seasons should be for traditional MLers but our influence is a "wee cry in a gale".....Fred

Gotta say Pennsylvania has got it right in hanging on to the traditional season. Sure, they've given the nod to inlines by making a special 1 week season in Oct when you can use any muzzleloader. :shake:
But they have kept the 2 week season after Christmas fairly traditional - flinters only, no scopes. :)
They did loosen up allowing conicals a few years ago. :barf: Hope they don't loosen up anymore. I like the fact that theres not too many folks in the woods during the flinter season. :)

Hello from Germany!

Would like to enjoy these season once a time!

Regards

Kirrmeister

In this region of NY State we're not allowed to use centerfire rifles. I see as many sin-lines now as I do slug shotguns dueing the regular season.

I think that's actually a good thing. We had many fellers who figured more slugs in the magazine meant you weren't done shooting at the running deer yet. I've had at least three "near misses" in the years I've been hunting, and I wear blaze orange head to ankle. I'd much rather have a clown behind me with one chance to nail me than five or six. Hearing a "THWACK" in the bark a foot over your head on the tree you're leaning against and then hearing the "BANG!" at about the time the splinter rain down is a better waker-upper than a whole Thermous of coffee. Same for walking through or along a corn field and hearing "Zip-zip-zip" as slug(s) hit corn stalks will get you in good singing voice. One can always hope that having only a single-shot will lead to more careful and purposeful shooting.

We only get a tail-end week after bow & regular for our muzzleloading, so it's not much of a "perk" anyway. Who has vacation time left by December 15th? That leaves two days: the weekend.

After being shot at several times over my years of hunting, I found a sure cure for these knuckle heads:

SHOOT BACK!

I know that is a novel idea in this age of political correctness, but if you don't have the right to shoot back at someone shooting at you, when you are dressed head to toe in blaze orange, WHO DOES?????

I once was the victim of some clown in Missouri firing at a group of hunters on the Illinois side of the Missippi River, a distance of about half a mile( 800-900 yds). We were all in Blaze orange, as required by Illinois law. He began shooting when we walked along the river edge to get past a 50 yd wide blow down area, that was otherwise impassible. He was using a Semi-auto .223 caliber rifle, and the bullets went high at first, taking out twigs from the trees over our heads. YOu near the tick-tick-tick in the tree, before you hear the distant sound of gunfire, so at first you are confused as to what is happening.

As men crossed the open area he began firing at them, and we could hear the bullets going over and behind our friends. Not being able to see him, or his gun, we were hoping he would get bored, and stop.

Plan A didn't work.

He kept firing, and the bullets kept getting lower in the tree, and closer to the now(Plan B) jogging and eventually running(Plan C) hunters as they crossed the gap. My knee had swollen up to the size of a small casaba melon, and the best I could do was a bad immitation of Marshall Dillon's Deputy, Chester Goode. By the time the guy in front of me ran the gauntlet, the bullets were hitting only 4-6 feet over my head, and he was within 6 feet of the kid as he ran across the gap.

I got mad.

( Plan D)I had a good audio focus on where on the Missouri shoreline the shots were coming from, so I fired off three shotgun slugs with the barrel elevated at a rough 45 Degree angle to the horizon. I picked up my empties, and reloaded my gun. Then I limped out behind the tree and headed across the gap. I made it, obviously, but not another shot was fired.

When I reached the woods where my friends were hiding, I was about to cuss them out for not giving me covering fire, when one of the kids yelled, " LOOK!"

I turned and looked across the river, and I could see a man running North through a gap on the skyline, where a railroad line ran, his arms pumping , but no gun being carried in his hands.

Lesson learned. :hmm: :hatsoff:

( Bad guys, drunks, crazies, etc. are cowards. They don't like being shot at either!)

In Oregon ten years ago there were less applicants than available tags now there many more applcants than tags, as far as no advantage with an *&^% line if you put modern hightech peeps and shoot modern connicals out of a side lock you have the same thing, the lock configuration is not and never should have been the issue,in considering what was or wasn't proper ML gear.

I have noticed an increase in hunters during the Massachusetts muzzleloading season. As far as hunters using more traditional styled muzzleloaders I can't seem to recall anyone in the last five years I have spotted hunting with anything other than an inline. There are a number of factors responsible for that in the Bay State. One big factor is that the muzzleloader season has been extended from three days when it was first started to a week. Then it was extended to December 31st, thus giving you a whole month of deer hunting with a firearm.

Another factor is that in the state of Massachusetts you need a license to carry for long arms. Under the old law starting in 1976 or so you had to obtain an FID card which was supposed to be good for life unless revoked. That changed a few years ago when one state senator clamped down with criteria. Basically the result was that many hunters lost their FID cards due to a past domestic disturbance or accusation of abuse. A man could have been in a bar fight when he was in his early 20's and there was some police involvement. Now as a grandfather, his now renewable FID/License to carry is null and void. So many hunters turned to muzzleloading. Many use them during the regular shotgun season. Personally I know of four hunters who lost their license to carry due to a drunk driving offense.

Here in Arkansas I also have seen a drastic rise in the # of muzzleloader hunters. The in-line craze has definately made an impact. I hunted with inlines for years because it was like having and extra week of modern rifle season. The only diffrence was I only had one shot. After a while I realized that there was no "fun" in shooting with these rifles because ammo was just as expensive as a centerfire and they were a whole lot more trouble to maintain than a modern rifle. I started looking at traditional muzzleloaders as a way of reviving the nostalgia and making shooting fun again. Sadly for most people the fun isnt in hunting anymore it is in the killing. That is why people choose inlines over traditional rifles because it is "easier" to kill with, and whomever kills the most is the winner. Right? I was telling my younger brother over the holidays about hunting this year with a sidelock for the first time and how awesome it was to bring home a doe with it. His response was "Can you really kill a deer with a patched round ball and open sights?" That question crushed me. My brother is a fairly good hunter and has brought home many deer in his 20 or so years of hunting. He religiously watches hunting shows on TV and I realized that the marketing of todays hunting shows have absolutely convinced people that you have to have 150gr of pelletized powder, sabot bullets and scoped in lines to kill a deer. To me this is the dark side of having more hunters in the ML seasons. As a whole we need more hunter numbers to help insure the future of our sport, and if they choose modern inlines its ok with me, but, they need to be educated by people other that the "Ad men". Sorry to ramble on but I just felt I had to say this.

I thought inlines were not to be discussed here? Acouple weeks ago I posted about a father watching his son through the scope of his inline as he was walking along a creek. Post got pulled. These are the type of people who are hunting with a muzzleloader, a friend of mine calls them missplaced shotgun hunters. Face it, to them it is all about getting the deer, not how you get it. Allso, you will not see these people at the range in the summer shooting their inlines, enjoying themselves. As far as traditional hunting around here, I would say probably 95 percent are modern, shooters, (sorry can't say hunters).flinch

Sorry about the rant. Muzzleloader hunting continues to grow in my area, and these people are not using trad. guns. I think a lot of it is competition, I got a deer and you didn't ha ha ha, my deer is bigger than yours. To most it doesn't matter how you get it, just get it. That is where these modern things come in, I think there is a big advantage to the modern inline with scopes sabots, some even with smokeless powder. Last Sat. a coworker shot a deer at 190 yards, got lucky, bullet went through the neck, I'm quite sure he wasn't aiming for the neck though, still, he is pretty proud of the shot. But, he got a deer. I will stick to the traditional side myself, I am hunting with a flintlock I built, my range is limited to about 50 yards, I am sure I will get harassed plenty at work if I don't get a deer. I do wonder if any of these modern hunters would go to a trad. gun if inlines were not allowed, I don't think many would, most have no interest in history, it is stuck in their brain that anything new is better and what worked 200 years ago doesn't work. I don't even try to explain why I hunt the old fashioned way, anymore I do my best to just avoid a muzzleloading conversation. I do think competition is the main reason for the inline craze around here though. And will continue to grow. Quick and easy allso comes to mind. Just drop 2 or 3 pellets down the barrel and a saboted bullet and your ready to go, a lot easier than spending hours and hours at the range developing a load and getting used to the gun. I guess to each their own. flinch

Back