• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ML hunter numbers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We hunters have to understand that deer hunting is NOT a true sport. Its a game management tool that is politically acceptable to the vast numbers of people who live in deer country, and to the insurance companies who have to pay claims for damages caused to automobiles by collisions with deer. The State makes lots of money selling deer permits. It needs more hunters to kill more deer.

The ML seasons in most states have seen fewer and fewer permits sold over the last 20 years. That is the key factor in why they have liberalized what they call a MLer, and why they allow scope sights, and copper jacketed pistol bullets. And, this in states that will not allow pistol hunting, or pistol bullets in carbines to be used to hunt deer during the regular gun season!

Years ago, the explanation for why only Shotguns shooting slugs, and MLer were allowed was " public Safety": We cannnot allow high powered rifles to be used for deer hunting, because we endanger the public in high populated states, and parts of the states.

If you want to kill the zip gun business, just get the major states to ban the use of scope sights. That will do more to put the end to the slob hunters, the dangerous hunters, and the guys who could care less about history, or hunting in a more traditional manner, than anything else we can do. Or, if you don't ban the use of scopes entirely, limit those hunters who use scopes to hunting only in regular gun seasons, and not the special ML seasons. I do not see these slobs choosing to hunt with a zip gun, scope or not, in place of a modern rifle or even shotgun using slugs in the regular gun season.

If the State needs more deer killed, it can extend seasons, or make additional permits available free after purchased tags have been filled, or any other numbers of management plans to reduce the size of the deer population each Fall.

I know here in Illinois most hunters wish the seasons would be longer since our weather patterns are so unpredictable, and have a serious impact on how many hunters will be out during our short seasons.

All the managers have to do is "Ask". And there is no reason why they have to use the same management plan state wide. ( OH, NO!! My brain may not take all this Creative thinking! What do you expect of me? I am only a highly paid public employee??? Thinking is not in my job description!!)

flinch said:
I think a lot of it is competition, I got a deer and you didn't ha ha ha, my deer is bigger than yours. To most it doesn't matter how you get it, just get it.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

... I am sure I will get harassed plenty at work if I don't get a deer.

Try tellin' the guys at work about the deer that you let walk by at 15 yards (or feet). :wink:
Every year I let a bunch of deer walk. For various reasons. Too small, too soon, just didn't feel right... whatever...
I used to tell the guys some of the stories about the deer that walked, now I mostly just keep it to myself. Some guys don't believe me, some guys tell me I'm not a hunter 'cause a hunter woulda shot :shake: , some guys get aggravated 'cause they never got a chance to shoot a deer much less pass up an opportunity (usually guys with A.D.D. :haha:)... Almost nobody "gets" it.

I figure I'm taking the place of four-legged predators, so I take the weak and stupid. That is, a deer dumb enough to be caught unawares by me.

I leave the large trophy bucks for breeding stock to improve the herd and winnow out the spindly racked genetic losers. I pass on anything over six points or 200 pounds. Unless I get desperate and can't find anything smaller than a tough, old eight-point. :shake:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

To be honest, I did let one walk by me at about 12 yards a week ago, it was a little one, I guess I got greedy. Yesterday afternoon, an eagle flew over tree top high, thought that was pretty neat. flinch

A few years ago, while bowhunting, I had full draw on a nice doe and let it down to wait for another doe with a broken leg. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and something didn't look right. Her right front leg was flopping all over. The nice big healthy doe walked. Then I waited for a small healthy buck to get out of the way (at 5 yards) so I could shoot the broke-leg doe. Double-lunged her. :thumbsup: Lost a bunch of meat, pretty much a whole front quarter, but it felt right.

:thumbsup: And you sir would be eligible for another free doe tag if I managed the hunt! Hunting is a great tool to manage the herd. My brother passed on a nice young 8 point to take a wounded/leg shot smaller 6 point this year. We take more does and let the small bucks walk as a rule. Keepin an eye out for their granpa. :wink: Hats off to you for your decision! :bow:

Steve

Of alll the guys I know or hunt with in NC, none hunt with traditional smokepoles. They have all fell into that inline advertisement manure. Which is fine if thats what you like. The best part of it though was last year. My buddy was giving me a hard time about hunting with a flintlock. He kept saying it wouldn't go off. His big joke was "Do you know why they call that a possibles bag? Because your gun might possibly go off! :grin: :grin: . Later in the season we were hunting and I had a nice doe come in. She was about 20 yards away and I was on the ground. I made a nice shot and she ran about 40 yards and went down. That night after dragging her back to camp he was standing in the yard kinda kickin the ground pouting. It was dark and I asked what happened. At first he didn't want to tell me and then I weaseled it out of him. He was in a tree stand and a doe came in. It was right near his tree stand. He said he was watching it in his scope and squeezed the trigger. SNAP!!! :rotf: His super dupe in-line miss fired. Neadless to say he heard about that for the next month at the firehouse. I"d say tell the guys about your deer hunt, go on tell them what happened. Now when I go to Pa to hunt with my family , we all hunt with flinters and have a ball. Andy

That is pretty common I think several years ago after hunting all day in a moderate rain we came back to camp, shortly three young fellows I knew stopped by on their way into town and asked if we cared if they unloaded their guns into a dirt bank at camp, I told them to go ahead and then get warm by the fire and have some coffee and something to eat, they all had wunder guns and each popped two or three capps to get them to go off.....I could not resist to go over and pull my flinter which had been loaded for three days out of the truck and shoot a can on the dirt pile, and mention that that was how a real ML worked.

Here in Arizona when they created the muzzleloader season that is all they stipulated was that it be loaded from the muzzle. I for one would have been much happier with a traditional weapons hunt and put the inliners over with the rifle hunters. The entire inline idea would not have come about if they had made these seasons a traditional weapons hunt. IMO :bull:

Well its not all bad. Go ahead and tell folks about your traditional equipment and if they are not totally narrow minded they might just convert. I expierenced this phenomenon at work this year. Now thanks to all here on this forum and your stories that I have passed on to the guys at work we have 2 new converts as well as myself. One guy was a die hard inliner that had a sidelock for "plinkin" only. I convinced him to try hunting with the rifle, real black powder and round balls and he killed a nice 8pt this year and had a blast doing it. The other guy had his dads old sidelock that he has hunted with for years and only used Pyrodex and sabot bullets. He recently bought a .32 Crockett rifle and started using Pyrodex in it. I have relayed my own expeirence with cleaning after black powder and some stories and tecniques from this forum and now he uses only black powder and PRB in both his rifles and says he will never go back. He told me just this week how he cant believe the diffrence in ignition time between the black and the sub, and how the black powder is so much easier to clean. I know sometimes bieng the odd duck is tough but dont keep this wonderfull pastime we call traditional muzzleloading to yourselves because sooner or later you will run on to someone open to try new things or looking for a greater challenge and then the perseverance will pay off with a new convert and brother or sister in arms.

Turkhunter said:
I know sometimes bieng the odd duck is tough but dont keep this wonderfull pastime we call traditional muzzleloading to yourselves because sooner or later you will run on to someone open to try new things or looking for a greater challenge and then the perseverance will pay off with a new convert and brother or sister in arms.

Amen.

Cuss someone, and all they're going to do is cuss back. Be a friend, and guess what you get back?

BrownBear said:
Amen.

Cuss someone, and all they're going to do is cuss back. Be a friend, and guess what you get back?

Someone who borrows your stuff and forgets to bring it back?ROFLMAO!! :rotf: :rotf:

Just joshin' ya! You are right on. Treat someone with respect and friendship and more often than not, it gets reflected back to you.

Back