• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ML hunting summary - different calibers / gauges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
With some time on my hands this morning...had the thought about summarizing 20 years hunting different ML calibers and gauges here in NC.
.40cal
Squirrels (+ economical range shooting, and a Whitetail from a custom conical test)
.45cal
Whitetails (+ squirrel and economical range shooting)
.50cal
Whitetails
.54cal Rifled bore
Whitetails
.54cal ”“ 28ga smooth bore
Whitetails, squirrels, doves (turkey hunting pending)
.58cal
Whitetails (+ excellent range & field results using alternative non-toxic PRBs)
.62cal Rifled bore
Whitetails
.62cal - 20ga smooth bore
Whitetails, turkey, squirrel, doves, crows

For my shooting / hunting needs / interests, the .54cal & .62cal smooth rifles have proven themselves to be so versatile that I’ve gone ahead and sold off the .54cal & .62cal rifles.
And while the .50cal Dickert is an excellent rifle (and a good caliber) it’s also gathering dust.

Other than preferring a small .40/.45cal for economical year round range plinking, if all I had were the 28 & 20ga smooth rifles, I wouldn’t miss out on a thing as far as my hunting goes.
But I’d also want to keep the .58cal given its lead PRB power, and the significance of a .58cal’s performance with two readily available non-toxic / non-lead PRBs.

Your conclusion about the versatility of smoothbores must be a general, timesless consensus. Your post ties in with the "shooting original guns" post in the general muzzleloading section. I made the comment that nearly everyone was using original shotguns, and wondered why there were apparently so many still around.

It seems the answer is because they were so popular. Smoothbores, in one form or another, could be used for taking any kind of game, or self defense, simply by changing the ammo. Picture the typical blue collar farmer, homesteader, or frontiersman of the day. He doesn't have the money to invest in different firearms, so he opts for one gun that will do it all. He could load birdshot, buckshot, buck and ball, or ball, depending on the quarry. Swan shot was popular, a was cut square shot. In a pinch, all kinds of things could be loaded down the bore.

Good post Roundball. Bill

Not having shot a smooth bore rifle I really can not address that matter. However I do hunt with a 50 cal GPR and I have hunted with a 40 flinter. I lice in Texas and we have pretty small deer and both have done a good with the 50 being a touch over kill. I like the accuracy of the rifles but I have never shot a deer at over 65 yards and most were closer. When I shoot mt Scott & Son's double I shoot shot shell loads for birds and small game. Geo. T.

Roundball, have you thought about trying Jaunco's trick for shooting shot from a rifle using a modern plastic shot cup wrapped in paper? It should work with 28 gauge cups in your .58 cal. rifle. He shoots .410 cups from a .45 cal. rifle.

Funny you mention that.I took 20 squirrels this past season with my .45, 17 of them with #5 shot and 3 with PRB on top of 20 grains of FFFG.
I have since changed the 20 ,for 22 grains as it is half a minute of squirrel head more accurate.
Loaded with 80 grains FFFg and PRB , I get 2150 FPS at the muzzle and 1 1/2 inch at 100 yds.
Since I came up with that trick to shoot shot out of a rifle ,my smooth bore is piling dust.
The .45 is my one fits all gun.

War Hawk said:
Roundball, have you thought about trying Jaunco's trick for shooting shot from a rifle using a modern plastic shot cup wrapped in paper? It should work with 28 gauge cups in your .58 cal. rifle. He shoots .410 cups from a .45 cal. rifle.
No, I don't happen to have any interest in using modern plastic shot cups in Flintlocks, neither smoothbores nor rifles...

Back