• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ML models legal in OH?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coonhound

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been hunting with a ML in Ohio since dad thought i was old enough to handle one...i'm lucky to say this will be my 19th year in the woods with a ML on my shoulder.

I've been thinking of replacing my faithful Zoli Zouave (my first ML, and to this day the only i've ever hunted with) with something like a 1858 Sharps carbine or military rifle.

What is the legality in Ohio of using something like a Sharps that can be breach-loaded with a blackpowder paper cartridge?

What about other states?

I should add that i intend to hunt whitetail with it.

I looked quick and it just says .38 cal muzzleloader or larger, says nothing about breech loaders. I'm afraid this might be one of those grey areas where someone at Licensing might say it's ok and then you run into a Game Warden and he says it's not. I know from experiance theres a lack of communication between the two here on some things.

That gun would be illegal here and I have to say the way I read your reg's I believe it is illegal too.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/tabid/4414/Default.aspx

So true, most game wardens are not knowledgeable about muzzle loaders. For example I have an older Hopkins and Allen swivel breech that two game wardens have told me is legal, one told me it is not.So it remains in the gun cabinet since I am not taking the chance of running into the one that says it is not legal. ( Besides I never moved the rear sight farther out on the barrels so I cann't really hit anything with it anymore.Moving the sights is something I should do since the gun is a very accurate one even if it does have the old numerich arms barrels.)

Coonhound said:
What is the legality in Ohio of using something like a Sharps that can be breach-loaded with a blackpowder paper cartridge?

How many here think "breach-loader" means "muzzleloader", raise your hand? :wink:

With all due respect, using black powder isn't what makes it a MUZZLEloader.

ohio ramrod said:
So true, most game wardens are not knowledgeable about muzzle loaders. For example I have an older Hopkins and Allen swivel breech that two game wardens have told me is legal, one told me it is not.So it remains in the gun cabinet since I am not taking the chance of running into the one that says it is not legal. ( Besides I never moved the rear sight farther out on the barrels so I cann't really hit anything with it anymore.Moving the sights is something I should do since the gun is a very accurate one even if it does have the old numerich arms barrels.)

I ran into a couple of Game Wardens, excuse me they are called Environmental Police here now. :snore: Was much easier calling them C O's than E P's now...anyway neither had ever seen a flintlock and I had to show them it was unloaded by flipping up the frizzen and showing no powder in the pan. At which point one gets on the radio and takes several minutes confirming that, that was the case. :youcrazy:

Carl Davis said:
How many here think "breach-loader" means "muzzleloader", raise your hand? :wink:

This is true, but i've known Sharps shooters who do prefer to load from the muzzle.

Thanks for the insight.

Coonhound said:
Carl Davis said:

This is true, but i've known Sharps shooters who do prefer to load from the muzzle.

Thanks for the insight.

Sorry to tell you this but that way of thinking will only get you into trouble. It's still a breech loader, don't matter if you load from the muzzle or not. So unless your State allows Breech loaders which it appears they do not, it is illegal.

coonhound,
I know how perplexing this might be to
you. Ohio not only allows I/L but in my opinion
encourges there use.They are permiited during the
S/G slug period as are traditional M/L.My guess
is if the powder is loaded at the muzzle it is
legal as long as stated it is .38cal or better.
I do know that no M/L handgun is permitted to
hunt deer with in Ohio,or for that matter to even be carried while in the woods while hunting deer.
This is my suggestion: Contact the Ohio
DNR my e-mail or there site at www.ohiodnr.com
There is a place there for questions about hunting,fishing,etc. Be very specific about the gun you are wanting to know about using. When they reply if in your favor print it off and carry it with you when hunting.
I know our season opens next Mon so if you do not get a reply soon.Call them at (614)265-6300 and that should direct you to an answer.
Hopefully :hmm:
Personally I feel if it loads at the muzzle,you should be good to go.Course you know what they say about opinions.
I hope this has helped.Let us know one way or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swampy said:
Coonhound said:
Carl Davis said:

Thanks for the insight.

Sorry to tell you this but that way of thinking will only get you into trouble. It's still a breech loader, don't matter if you load from the muzzle or not. So unless your State allows Breech loaders which it appears they do not, it is illegal.

You mean you can't get around the law by simply saying, "I know a guy who..."? :haha:

i hunt in ohio also if doesn't have a breeck plug and load form the muzzle i wouldn't use it. they don't look to kindly on the gray area theory also even if if you call the 1-800# you are very likely to get someone who has know conccept of what you're talking about and will give a different interpretation of the laws than the field officers who are going to inforce the law. best of luck in jan

Back