• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ml rifle turkey hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alabama regulations are:
(3) TURKEY:
(a) ï‚· Shotguns, 10 gauge or smaller using standard No. 2
shot or smaller.
ï‚· Long bows or compound bows (no crossbows).
ï‚· Handguns or pistols using centerfire mushrooming
ammunition, black powder handguns or pistols .40
caliber or larger.
ï‚· Handguns or pistols can only have open metallic
sights (no scopes).
(b) Nothing in this section is intended to prohibit the
possession of rifles, shotgun/rifle combinations (drilling) or
buckshot and slugs when the hunter is stalk hunting both
deer and turkey provided no person shoots or attempts to
shoot turkey with the rifle or shotgun using buckshot or
slugs.

Oooh. I sure would like to use my .40 rifle with roundball. I wouldn't have to call them in so close!! However, I do have a .54 pistol with rifled barrel, but I don't think that would give me any advantage range-wise over my fowler.

lonehunter said:
Last year the state took our rifles away during turkey season, On public land anyway.
But thats OK with me, Gives me a reason to get a smooth bore!
But honey, I NEED one! :wink:

I don't believe that applies to private land, however.

Those of you who have shot turkeys with gun what do you think of a.50? I have a .32 cherokee and a .50 flintlock and would like to use the .50. Any thoughts on the .50 being too large and ruining too much meat?

We used to hunt turkeys in Colorado with rifles, but the shotgunners complained (rightly so) that rifle hunters were shooting the birds out from under them at long range. It seems the rifle hunters were using big game guns, and didn't care if they ruined the bird. But I'd like to see them let us use our "underpowered" ml rifles.

arw22lr said:
What was Florida's reasoning for that?

I would love to hunt turkeys with a rifle.

I don't know about Florida. But, in Arkansas it is purely a safety issue. Even with shotguns only, turkey hunting is the most dangerous hunting sport in north America.
Turkey hunters camoflage themselves then pretend to sound like a turkey. Which means, they sometimes attract the attention of 'sound hunters'. :shocked2:
I'll have to check into the issue of how many projectiles in my state.
Would a .600" ball ruin much meat? :rotf:

Edit and add: got it that was easy:
in Arkansas
Shot larger than No. 2 common shot is prohibited.

same in ct no bigger Than #2. They should separate the primitive weapons regs from the modern ones.

As for the .600 ball maybe you could load just enough powder to knock one out then use the stump killer method and finish the job with a piece of seamless tubing :thumbsup:

Back