• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ML sidearm for backup.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyforever

32 Cal.
Reaction score
:hmm:
I have a CVA Bobcat that I use with 85g. pyrodex powder and PRB. Groups about 1" at 75yds. don't have open enought area to hunt to worry about any greater range than that. Want to begin with a companion sidearm to the Bobcat,( I know that I am mixing a little bit), and would like to see what the general populace leans towards.

Thank you and keep your powder dry.

I have - and use - a CVA "Mountain Pistol" in 50 caliber that I made from a kit back around 1980. I shoot PRB, and 50gr. of GOEX FFFg gives me very good accuracy. I have only "had" to use it twice as a backup, but not on anything considered as dangerous game. Although I can shoot it well out to 50+ yards, I limit its hunting use to close shots, generally under 15 yards. I just don't think it has the punch to do anything useful beyond that, with the short barrel and that powder charge. As for hogs... none around here that live beyond the farm pens.

My pistol has the classic belt hook, or clip or whatever, side plate that I use when hunting. Out of season, I usually have it on display and only have the regular side plate. The plum brown finish on the barrel has long been a thing of the past, but with the use of Ballistol over the years, the barrel has a pleasing antique-looking patina of aged steel left in the white, a nice mottled gray effect.

Good luck with that Bobcat - just two days ago, I was in WallyWorld and was irresistably drawn toward the sporting goods section. Well, there was a nice CVA Bobcat in .50, the only sidelock in the entire display case otherwise filled with inlines. Kind of gave it an even more pleasing appearance, and then I checked the price tag -- $59.97!! New, not refurbished, not used, not a "second," and in terrific shape. Well, silly me -- I though it was the only one in the store, so I cornered an emnployee and 15 minutes later (manager with a key took awhile to track down) I was walking out with a new, in-the-box, never before handled by any other customer, 50 caliber Bobcat. When I got home, the tang needed a bit of final shaping to fit the barrel button (and in the end I heated the tang to get the final space needed to push it onto the barrel), but otherwise it looks fine and shoots surprisingly well, just a hair under an inch at 75 yards with PRB. All of my BP rifles until this one have all been slower twist, this 1:48 twist is "fast" for me, and I was surprised that PRB's came out of it so well.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post. I wish you well in your quest, for sidearm and for hogs!

P.S. - be aware of your state and local laws, as well as the laws governing the areas you may travel to. Here in NY, it's fine to own a BP pistol without a handgun permit, but if you ever load it, you're required to first have a permit and get it registered. Game wardens always ask to see the permit whenever they see the gun. Be careful.

In North Carolina it's not permitted to carry a 'back-up' in deer muzzleloader season but U can use them in regular gun season and carry the 'back-up'! Go figure. I have carried a CVA .50 as back-up when hog hunting with my muzzler until I got a Ruger 'Old Army'. It shot thru a jack-pine that stopped a .357 (I use slugs in it instead of RB) and also killed a good sized hog with it. One shot in the heart-lungs at 30 paces. Ran aways and dropped dead. Left a lot of blood to follow.

I carry a 45 caliber Sieber pistol when I hunt predators traditional (usually with one of two 36 caliber sidelocks). More for a 2nd animal opportunity than as a back up though. Often I've had pairs or groups of coyotes, fox, etc come in close to the maiden mouth call and the pistol has allowed me my only doubles when hunting them shooting black.

If you are calling coyotes, there is no reason to not take a second rifle with you to your stand, either a ML, or a modern gun as backup for that rare opportunity when you may have more than one target to shoot. I have a friend whose sheep herd is attacked periodically by coyotes, and last year, a hunter killed about 24 of them at her fence line, using traps. You would not like to see what a coyote does to a sheep, or see the ones they gut and don't kill. I consider coyote hunting serious work, and not something that should stand on form. Its nice to kill them with a ML, but the whole purpose of killing them is to reduce the attacks on pets and livestock. Get 'er done!

Thank you all for the information and suggestions. Here in Oklahoma we can carry a sidearm during season providing it has a barrel longer than 5 1/2 inches and is at least a 40 cal.
I am looking at either a 1858 Remington New Army or a Colt 1860 Army in 45 cal.

Thanks again for the input.

Keep your powder dry.

Same in Ohio, it is a :nono: to carry any type
of B/P pistol during any part of any of the deer
seasons in the Buckeye state. Luckily I was given
a warning 4 or 5 years ago by an understanding
DNR officer. I had'nt even thought about the
legality when I took it into the woods :redface:
snake-eyes

Why is there such a big difference in state laws concerning ML handguns?

Here in Illinois, they can only be used in the late season, why not the other gun seasons?

Here in NY we can only carry a single-shot pistol or long gun during the special muzzleloader seasons, no revolvers allowed. Also for long guns, no double-barrel. Nothing mentioned about multiple guns, though. And no guns whatsoever where there's either no hunting or no-firearm seasons (archery only). They also used to forbid scopes and telescopic sites as well. And the gub was SUPPOSED to be "primitive." Show me an in-line that meets that requirement... but in-lines are okay. Incrementally watered-down...

paulvallandigham said:
If you are calling coyotes, there is no reason to not take a second rifle with you to your stand, either a ML, or a modern gun as backup for that rare opportunity when you may have more than one target to shoot. I have a friend whose sheep herd is attacked periodically by coyotes, and last year, a hunter killed about 24 of them at her fence line, using traps. You would not like to see what a coyote does to a sheep, or see the ones they gut and don't kill. I consider coyote hunting serious work, and not something that should stand on form. Its nice to kill them with a ML, but the whole purpose of killing them is to reduce the attacks on pets and livestock. Get 'er done!

Two totally different types of predator hunting...

Have done ADC for ranchers for well over 40 years and still have a bunch of ranches that I am the only one called on to do it for them. Because I get the job done whether its coyotes, fox, bobcat, badger, skunks, and occassional lion or the hoards of crop eaters. When I am doing predator ADC for a rancher where the single purpose is to put an individual and known killer down, or as many down as possible if that's what the rancher wants, then I do carry modern firearms and wear the camo, but I still use my mouth calls just because I think they are much better and more versatile than the electronic devices. Since most of the ranchers I deal with also raise crops, few of them want all predators killed on sight just to be killing them. They help control the crop eaters (which I also varmint shoot for the ranchers).

But when I hunt predators for my own enjoyment (sport) or for the fur I prefer to do it tradtional... no camo, no electronics, no modern firearms or anything else modern just to keep the hunt as challenging and one-on-one as possible. I'm not after a known livestock killer on these hunts. That means my muzzle loaders, reenactment attire and home made mouth calls. I just won't use electronic calls, either for ADC or my own hunts though. Anybody can push buttons and I've been making and using my own too long to change.

Multiples with coyotes are not rare, but rather common in the states I hunt in. Pairs and 3-4 are very common, 5-6 once in a whuile and rarely as many as 10-12 can answer the call. With fox 2-3 is not all the uncommon either.

The reason I don't carry 2 heavy ML rifles into stands is because some of them are a long trek in to. I also have many "routes" I hunt once or twice a year that are a loop of many miles and can have as many as 12-14 stands along them. Just too far to carry a lot of gear.

Regardless, when I predator hunt for "me", its not about the killing. It's entirely about pitting my skills against those of a smart critter on it's own turf. The ML's and primitive gear adds greatly to the experience. I come home empty handed more often then not for sure... couldn't get them in close enough for the ML's, made a mistake or shot a clean miss. But when I do score, I feel I earned them and these are the ones I call trophies.

Give the '58 Rem. a close look, a SS cylinder is available 4. I got one for mine and used a jacked-up charge with it, a .25 acp case full of 4f under 26gr. 3f under felt wad under Lee slug. Definitely has a little more kick than a straight 3f load. And you can get 'em with target sights.

Lone Carabiner said:
Give the '58 Rem. a close look, a SS cylinder is available 4. I got one for mine and used a jacked-up charge with it, a .25 acp case full of 4f under 26gr. 3f under felt wad under Lee slug. Definitely has a little more kick than a straight 3f load. And you can get 'em with target sights.

thanks for all the info, have been looking at the Rem really hard and even my wife likes the looks of it. We will be going to the store to have a hands on experience this weekend.

Back