• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Model 1746 Charleville??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elarges

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all...
My persona is that of an ex-French Marine, and I was wondering about the 1746 Charleville. Am I wrong to assume that that gun would have been standard issue? If I'm not too far off-base, does anyone have a reccomendation as to where to look for one? Preferrably reasonsably priced??
Thanks!!!
Eric

That's essentially correct, the 1746 Fusil d'Armee was the standard issue for the vast majority of French troops in N.America in the F&IW. The '46 is sometimes referred to as the "St. Etienne", but only after 1763 when Charleville became the major manufacturing arsenal was that moniker used. If you are referring to the Compagnies Franches de la Marine when you say "French Marine", you're on the money. Not just busting on you here, there are also Infanterie de la Marine( shipboard ) in that period, so you need to be specific.

The '46 is pretty much the 1728 model with some minor changes. Don't know if anyone sells a '46 model specifically. However, there is no reason to assume that the 1728 was not still present with French forces in significant quantities. A reproduction of the 1728 is somewhat available (militaryheritage.com and[url] loyalistarms.com[/url] are sellers I know of ). It should be fairly easy to modify to a '46 configuration if so desired, don't know that many folks could tell the difference anyway !

Last edited by a moderator:
The correct gun for French Marines is the 1734. Nobody makes one at this point. I had one by Ravenshear.

Thanks for the info. I will have to do some digging around on the difference between the two "marines". I'm trying to portray a marine that would have been involved at Ft. William Henry, so I'll have to find a decent source to find out which group(s) was there.
As far as the 1728 vs the 1746, I was hoping to lean toward the '46 simply because I like the way it looks.

A 1734?? I've never seen nor heard of one, but I will definately nose around and see what I can find. Thanks!!

Back