• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Molds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigman

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for round ball molds for a 69 caliber Armisport 1843 springfield and and "India" Brown Bess from Middlesex traders. I am looking for molds that are some what historicaly accurate. I may want to have them in my gear at a living history.

Thanks,
Mark C. Foster

Mark,

JJ Tanner will make what ever size you want. Molds are $35 shipped to you.

Use standard Lee handles. They are single cavity beauties.

Lyman moulds are steel. Lee are aluminum, and the Tanner moulds look like brass. Not sure about Rapine.

Sorry Guys,

I guess I didn't read the post very thoroughly. :youcrazy: A Rapine bag mold would probably do. Not sure where to get one, but see them advertised in Muzzleblast's occasionally

I got a steel .600 from Smiling Fox on Sunday at K-Zoo. Cast a few balls over a fire yesterday and they came out ok for a first try. It cost $65 plus tax.

Jon

Thanks for the input!

Any idea on sizes for a 42 or Bess?

Thanks,
Mark C. Foster

All the molds from the period were iron? Awww, bullocks! I've got three single cavity brass bag molds. You mean they wouldn't pass muster at a period (18th century) event?

The brass should be fine. I would venture to say that many originals were iron but there were surely some brass as well. I know for a fact that there were certianly brass moulds in the 17th century.

While most surviving molds are indeed iron, I've seen brass, bronze and even a really old one carved out of sandstone...now that would be goodie to pop out at an event! From what I've seen in collections and gun books, it appears most molds were 'gabg molds' and used to turn out bunches of balls at a time. My favorite is an old iron mold of AWI vintage that cast 5 different balls from .55 to .66 and a cylinder of .68 diameter and about .75" long. What body buster that one would be! Imagine a full volley of those brutes!!!

I think you can get one from them directly. They used to have a web site, but it isn't working anymore.

Rapine Bullet Mould Mfg. Co. 9503 Landis Lane, East Greenville, PA 18041 Phone (215) 679-5413 Fax (215) 679-6442 http:[url] www.bulletmoulds.com[/url]

They could at least probably give you the name of a retailer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back