• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Brown Bess ?’s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not at all in with the crowd that buys Besses, but have wondered if it would be a viable product for us to make. What do you all think? Do you think with the 250th year coming up there would be increased demand?
I would be interested. I would be more interested in an 1777 Charleville but either would be good.

The issue with Indian guns isn’t necessarily safety, it’s longevity of the the lock components. The durability of the springs and mating surfaces is of concern. Additionally, the guns are nearly all made with non-interchangeable parts that were fitted to each piece. When a part wears out, good luck finding a new one. With a Pedersoli, a quick email and you’ll have a new one on its way and will be a drop in replacement fit.
I do not know about interchangeable parts as my 22 year old Indian made smoothbore has not broken a spring or any part and sparks great.

I am currently involved in Rev War reenacting and living history, and I can honestly say there is always someone looking to purchase either a Brown Bess or a Charleville. As we approach the 250th celebrations/observances, yes, I think you could be optimistic about sales for either model. Finding either a Charleville or a Bess seems to be very challenging right now.
Anything Decent that is….

Lots of great information. I don't know much about military guns, so this has been really helpful.

I would think our kit selling price for a Bess would be around $1450 - $1500. This is based on what we need to get for our fowler, plus some of the added complexity. It would be, however very complete and easy to assemble. Do you think this would work for the re-enacting crowd?
I would empty my safe to buy one though i would prefer a Charli

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpeg
    IMG_0037.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0039.jpeg
    IMG_0039.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 0
Regarding Mr. Kibler's post I believe there would be a viable market for a historically accurate Brown Bess kit.

Another option could be an "Officers Model" fusil similar to the last one brought to market by Curly Gostomski.

Regarding Mr. Kibler's post I believe there would be a viable market for a historically accurate Brown Bess kit.

Another option could be an "Officers Model" fusil similar to the last one brought to market by Curly Gostomski.

Larry Zornes is currently selling the officers model fusil, i believe he bought Curly’s pattern and molds.

I’m simply going off what I’ve been told by reenactors at various events. I was astonished to learn how much some of these guys spend on their get-ups.

Townsends wants $515 for a period coat alone. Trousers are $200, shoes are $200… I’ll let you do the math. 😉
I’m a reenactor, I don’t need to do the math. It just depends where you go. I’m just telling you that they’ll spend a lot on a coat and less on a gun that’s just a prop to them.

Last edited:
Kibler should release in this order:

Hawken
Schimmel Barn Gun
Brown Bess
Charleville
1861 Springfield Rifle Musket
Early Colonial Matchlock
Blunderbuss
Ohio style rifle
He’s not. When you’re already selling out, you don’t go crazy making more stuff. Most of the stuff you list will have limited interest to most people.

I’m a reenactor, I don’t need to do the math. It just depends where you go. I’m just telling you that they’ll spend a lot on a boat and less on a gun that’s just a prop to them.

The French and Indian war reinactors tend to spend more for their guns, just my observation. Track of the Wolf’s Brown Bess not being available is a real bummer.

LOL, this happens on here frequently (and in defense of this particular forum, on lots of forums): when someone asks a SPECIFIC question about what folks want - in this case an AWI Era Brown Bess - some people come out of the woodwork with some pretty idiosyncratic choices.

Jim (very graciously) asked us about an AWI Brown Bess. I think – and based on the responses here, the guys I shoot with, and even a bunch of PMs I’ve gotten since this thread started – a historically correct mid 1700s model Long Land Brown Bess with option for wood or steel ramrod would sell like hotcakes!

Last edited:
Well, if you’re looking for opinions, Mr. Kibler, my vote would be an early model, that would cover a huge amount of time, fro f&i on up. Just my $0.02.

LOL, this happens on here frequently (and in defense of this particular forum, on lots of forums): when someone asks a SPECIFIC question about what folks want - in this case an AWI Era Brown Bess - some people come out of the woodwork with some pretty idiosyncratic choices.

Jim (very graciously) asked us about an AWI Brown Bess. I think – and based on the responses here, the guys I shoot with, and even a bunch of PMs I’ve gotten since this thread started – a historically correct mid 1700s model Long Land Brown Bess with option for wood or steel ramrod would sell like hotcakes!
I'm waiting patiently for my Kibler Fowler to arrive. I was planning on the Fowler being a type of gun that those on the poor end of the Colonial Militia would have brought to the field. I've always wanted a "Bess" but gave up on the idea because nothing that is available is historically correct without a lot of reworking. The Rifle Shoppe kit is just beyond anything I'm willing to pay after finding someone to actually put it together for me. If Mr. Kibler could produce a historically accurate early to midwar "Bess" I'm going to have to buy one. My original intentions were to not purchase any more long arms once I got the Fowler. Even if my wife divorces me I'm still in for a historic arm from the War of Independence! My last address before moving to NC was Washington Crossing, PA. It's been in my blood for my entire life but I'm all in for The Patriot Cause.

Bring it JIm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm all in.

Ed

Latest posts

Back