• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moonlight roe doe!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

Having about 4-6'' of snow in the mountains, baiting since a few weeks and getting cold more and more(-15 degrees centigrade) I thought today the chance for getting a roe won't be bad. So I went out at about 05:30 p.m. in my tree stand. At 05:50 p.m. 2 redfoxes came along and one of them went to the baiting and ate the corn lying there. Then for more than an hour no movement at all. At about 06:30 p.m. the halfmoon came out, so many light over the snow. Then at 07:00 p.m. I wanted to go, but decided to stay for 10 minutes more. A good decision! At about 07:10 p.m. I saw a shadow at the edge of a thicket. Then the shadow moves to the baiting place, stopped there and ate. I took my scoped (4x32) Deerhunter ML, viewed through it and saw that it was a single doe at about 50m, standing with its back to me, but showed me little of its left broadside. So I decided to shoot...boooom....smoke....gone!
I reloaded, because I knew I got it. Went down from the stand to the hitting place. Many drops of dark blood, I thought "jep livershot". I followed the drops through the snow and after 60 meters I found the doe standing under a tree with high back (sign for gutt/liver hit)looking at me. I took the deerhunter and made a final shot. Roedoe break dówn and after a few minutes it was dead. Field dressed it weights 18kg/36 pds. It was an old doe. We have many of them here because this area wasn't hunted much before.
Excuse me for the scope, but without no harvest posible at all here.

I'll post pics tommorrow!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Nice job Kirrmeister! It is easier to talk yourself into leaving than it is to stay when it's that cold! Way to stick it out. How many of the Roe can you shoot in a season? How long is the season?
Idaho PRB

Congratulations. It is odd to me that you can shoot game animals at night. Here in Massachusetts we can shoot animals in the varmint catagory at night with some restrictions. So I can set up a bait pile and shoot coyote, red and gray fox,raccoon, oppossum,skunk and weasel.

One thing that could be a problem is that of what kind of muzzleloader to use at night. I would probably have to use my 12 guage loaded with birdshot due to the firearm regs we have here to shoot at night.

Grats! :hatsoff:

Legal hours here are 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset. And this was only the second year that we got the 1/2 hour after sunset. It used to be sunset quitting time. Doesn't matter if you can see or not. Even having a loaded gun in the field outside of legal shooting hours is prohibited... except for varmint hunters.
I don't know how they can tell the difference between a deer hunter and a varmint hunter until he shoots a critter. :youcrazy:

Hello from Germany!

We are allowed to hunt from 1,5 hour before sunrise until 1,5 hour after sunrise. So this roe was at the border line of this rule :grin:
Other game like predators and wildboars can be hunted duringthe night.
Roe season ends this month 15th :( !

Regards

Kirrmeister

Here is a pig of the critter. The hole is from the second shot.

DSCI0021.jpg

Regards

Kirrmeister

This animal weighs 18 kilograms, 39.6 pounds? It looks same size as our deer, white tailed or mule deer.

Hi Herb,

you are right it looks similiar to your Whitetails,only smaller. A biologist told me that roedeer and whitetails only don't look similar, they have also many similarities in biology like habitat, eating, etc. So you can say the Whitetail is the american roedeer!

Roedeer don't weight much more than 20-22 kg field dressed.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Those are very small deer if your conversion is correct. We have yearling whitetails that weigh over 100 lbs. live weight, and dress out to 85 lbs. At 2.20 lbs to 1 kilogram, That dress deer weighs 38 kilograms!

Our whitetails can get as large as 350 lbs. or, 159 kilograms. Some have been reported as weighing even more than that. Now, these are whitetails growing up in our Corn and Soybean Country, here in the MidWest, so they get lots of Carbohydrates, and lots of protein to build muscles. Salt and iron is also not a problem finding here.

On both coasts, and down in Florida, the whitetails are much smaller. Its not unusual to find a full grown doe or buck along the coasts that weigh only 85 lbs live weight after 2 years. They dress out at 35 lbs. and less. I tracked a 35 lb deer in the New Jersey Pine Barrens once. It was difficult to realize I was following a full grown deer, and not a fawn! The Florida "Key " deer, the California "Sika" deer, both considered members of the whitetail deer family, are both very small animals by comparison.

Size has more to do with their available diet, than anything else, I am told by the biologists. Where food plots and mineral blocks are put out for the deer, they gain in size. :thumbsup:

Kirrmeister said:
Hello from Germany!

We are allowed to hunt from 1,5 hour before sunrise until 1,5 hour after sunrise. Regards

Kirrmeister

Wow, an hour and a half before sunrise and after sunset? If we had that here, there certainly would be less hunters afield! :shocked2:

But then again, we have quite a few that hunt around 10 PM. :cursing:

paulvallandigham said:
Those are very small deer if your conversion is correct. We have yearling whitetails that weigh over 100 lbs. live weight, and dress out to 85 lbs. At 2.20 lbs to 1 kilogram, That dress deer weighs 38 kilograms!

Our whitetails can get as large as 350 lbs. or, 159 kilograms. Some have been reported as weighing even more than that. Now, these are whitetails growing up in our Corn and Soybean Country, here in the MidWest, so they get lots of Carbohydrates, and lots of protein to build muscles. Salt and iron is also not a problem finding here.

On both coasts, and down in Florida, the whitetails are much smaller. Its not unusual to find a full grown doe or buck along the coasts that weigh only 85 lbs live weight after 2 years. They dress out at 35 lbs. and less. I tracked a 35 lb deer in the New Jersey Pine Barrens once. It was difficult to realize I was following a full grown deer, and not a fawn! The Florida "Key " deer, the California "Sika" deer, both considered members of the whitetail deer family, are both very small animals by comparison.

Size has more to do with their available diet, than anything else, I am told by the biologists. Where food plots and mineral blocks are put out for the deer, they gain in size. :thumbsup:

Paul,

in other parts of Germany where we have more agricultural areas and where it is warmer like at the Rhine or in the eastern part of Germany the roes get bigger, too. There they have field dressed weights of about 23-25 kg.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Great tale, great pics, congratulations Kirrmeister! Hope you get a chance at another one before the 15th!

:hatsoff:
Spot

european deer is about a half of the northamerican ones, whitetail or blacktail or mule or else. northamerican deer species, meaning whitetails, are called 'virginia deer' in a lot of ol' europe's game parks.
roes are good eating, it seems to me they have a little bit more fat in them.
good job kirrmaister, hail to you!!!

Back