• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

moose hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawk

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Maskinongehunt2010018.jpg

some pictures of the area I hunt moose in .

the weather hovered around the freezing mark and snow held off till the last couple days,we tagged a male calf for the freezer this year.

Maskinongehunt2010015.jpg

orange is part of the deal up here so no full PC gear but i hunted the hole trip with flintlocks.

Maskinongehunt2010010.jpg

Maskinongehunt2010034.jpg

Those are some great pics! Thanks for sharing. I miss going to Ontario, if nothing else for the scenery and getting way out "in the bush".

I agree, great pics. That's a lot of meat there, can I ask how much that thing weighed?

:hatsoff:
Spot

At first, I thought you were just posting pics of the view. Then, I got to that moose hanging from the tree!! Nice job. Can you give us details on the weapon and the load?

Man, that's going some to hoist a moose into a tree, much less to get it to the tree in one piece. Good going!

Nice country, too.

Start a "pool." I'm betting that's a smoothie, based on the fowler lines.

Nice!! We have to wear hunter orange, too, but it doesn't diminish the hunt.
"Ain't nothin' better than carrying a long rifle into the woods."
Great fun, and good eatin'!!

Spot said:
I agree, great pics. That's a lot of meat there, can I ask how much that thing weighed?

Spot
the boys feel it was 450-480 lbs
we dress it and pack it ourselves split three ways we figure 50 lbs each of steak and roasts and stew meat another 60-70 pounds of grind for hamber/sausage.
were very particular about getting the tendon and silver skin off the meat before packing it into the freezer ,i'll go quality cut over quantity anyday with wild game .

BrownBear said:
Man, that's going some to hoist a moose into a tree, much less to get it to the tree in one piece. Good going!

Nice country, too.

Start a "pool." I'm betting that's a smoothie, based on the fowler lines.

in my gang i'm the kid at 44, so we have the truck do the dirty work ,he dropped in an area were we could recover him with very little effort, the hardest part was flopping him into the truck bed.

your right with the flintlock that one is a smothrifle ,62 cal/20 ga.I based it on the one jim chambers sells but put a flat faced lock on it instead
i use a .60 ball that i run and a lubed patch not sure how thick but i can start it with a push of my patch knife handle that over 80 grs FF.

it was taken by another ...not my turn this season (maybe next season),we hunt in a gang and share the spoils it's been that way i'm told since 1964.wouldn't have it anyother way.

thank you all for the kind words

roundball said:
Sounds like a good crowd...great looking country too !

you'd be hard pressed to fine better company for this sort of excursion.

Maskinongehunt2010036.jpg

CHEERS!

Like I tell my hunting partners, when one of us is successful, we're all successful, since it's usually a coodinated effort.

Sounds like one of those trips that will be remembered fondly for many years. Thanks for the story. Bill

P.S. Is that moosehead beer? Too funny! :rotf:

i'm lucky to be able to hunt there yearly for some time now and hope to hunt there till my old legs would take me any longer.

....and how the 'ell did you see that were drinking moosehead beer (my beer of choice).that's too funny lmao

Back