• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MOOSE MILK?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings DavidP,

Thanks for the answer about hydrogen peroxide in Moose Milk.

I had wondered about the hydrogen peroxide break-down, but did not have the background to know for sure.

Best regards, John L. Hinnant

DavidP, you seem to be the one that might have the answer. Why would someone have chosen to use the hydrogen peroxide over water in the first place? Uncrichie...

Well I have tried STUMP`s liquid MOOSE MILK in my opion it is as good as the new LeHigh Valley lube. Did they change the formula ? It does not freeze,cuts the fouling and is cheap to make. To me it does not get any better than this.Thanks again Stumpkiller! Respectfully Montanadan

For black powder cleanup I use Windex with Vinegar - this is NOT the normal blue Windex with ammonia. Windex with vinegar is a little harder to find but it eats black powder fouling like nothing I've seen.

Did they change the formula?

Yes. And if they hadn't I might never had started experimenting myself.

Just make sure you use something else as a rust preventative if you leave the gun sit. The Murphy's & Castor offer some protection, but they don't penetrate & displace moisture like Kroil, CLP or Rem-Oil.

STUMPKILLER-I use Ballistol for a rust, I never leave home with out it(to many other uses for it). The other MOOSE MILK I used had the NAPA machine oil, I am pretty sure that has been changed too. I have never been to much of a chemical type guy(maybe in the 60`s)but that was all organic. Thanks again..Respectfully Montandan

Un - my guess on why hydrogen peroxide was used is that is that it is a great organic solvent that would remove the crud generated by BP if it were used straight out of the bottle. However, whoever put the recipe together probably didn't realize that hydrogen peroxide would basically come apart in the presence of other organic compounds.

(Purely speculative answer on my part - heck, they used to feed people arsenic as an antibiotic...)

Back