• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big John

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've hit the lottery! Got a either sex Moose Permit. Problem is what rifle do I want to take? First choice... Hawken 50cal, or Parker Hale 58cal Musketoon or 1874 45/70 Sharps w/black powder cartridge. Any of the above very accurate at 100yds.

Good Luck to you. :hatsoff:
Up here all you need for most moose hunts is your license, and a Harvest Ticket. In the season right now. Aug25-Sept 25 I believe.

In 2006 I drew a tag in Maine for a bull and took a 550 pounder dressed out with my 45-70 magnum research revolver at 50 yards. I got mine the first hour I was hunting. Took him to the weigh station and was on the road home by 9:00 am. It was kinda like hunting cattle and the meat was as taste as beef. Good luck on your hunt.

Congrats Master Blaster. Use the .58 Musketoon. No reason other than I'd like to see a pic of you with your moose and the gun. I got a .50 Hawken and a .45-70 Uberti Highwall. I don't have a .58 Musketoon. Good luck and enjoy your hunt.

I would choose a smoothbore so I would have the option of loading with ball or shot and could take both... Moose&Squirrel

I've only shot moose with modern rifles. Sometimes they go down easy and sometimes it's like shooting at a brick wall. I'd take either the .58 or the other gun which I can't name here. :wink: The one that is not a .50, unless of course you're shooting them new long kind of boolits.

I used my P-H musketoon to take a buffalo in 2007. I used a 560gr smooth sided Prichett bullet I molded and 70gr of 3FFFg. That load is a rip-snorter!

pick the one that you can shoot the best they will all make a mess of a moose heart if you can hit it ....also if you still hunt the one that carries all day long the easiest mite be a close second.LOL good luck to you!

If I had a moose tag there would be no way in hell I would be shooting a squirrels. Leave the squirrel shooting for later. Good luck on the MOOSE hunt. Ron

Agreed. I'm not even sure if I'd use a muzzleloader on a hunt like this. It'd be a hunt of a lifetime even with a high-powered rifle.

Moose die easy, but problems start because they can take some time to get around to it. Any of those guns will do the job, but....

In places I hunt, you really want to drop them as quick as possible to keep them from wandering out into the middle of a pond or dense tangle of willows before they get around to dropping. Assuming you're using a stoutish load in the 58, I'd pick that over either the 50 or 45 simply because I believe it will drop one quicker. Heck, on my next moose hunt I plan to use a 62- not because I think it will be even better than my 58, but because it's kinda new and burning a hole in my pocket. :grin:

Best wishes on your hunt.

Gotta throw a Bush Alaska trick in your plans. Fold up about 3' of waxed paper and put it in your kit. When you dress the moose carefully peel off the thin lattice of fat from the paunch (we call it "lace") and hang and spread it on a bush to cool and stiffen while you do the other chores. Once it's cool, fold it in that waxed paper and take it home.

Back home, wrap it around a big roast before baking. It's so much better and sweeter than bacon and keeps the roast so moist, you'll be wishing your next moose came outfitted with about 50 pounds of lace!

Heck, one more: Long as we're talking Alaska, if you like beef tongue you'll love moose tongue. If you've never removed a tongue before, start by making a long "V" cut along the insides of the jaw bone under the chin. Extend it well back down either side of the tongue into the neck. Pull the tongue down and out from the jaw, and sever well into the base of the tongue. We're talking a great big hunk of meat here fully as big as a beef tongue. Prime eats.

BrownBear said:
Moose die easy, but problems start because they can take some time to get around to it.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Man no truer words have been written.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: That's a good one Rifleman! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

"Agreed. I'm not even sure if I'd use a muzzleloader on a hunt like this. It'd be a hunt of a lifetime even with a high-powered rifle.'

The use off a smoothbore ML would MAKE it the hunt of a lifetime, but I am certain there are those who would not understand or appreciated that and Ron, since it zipped right past ya the "Moose&Squirrel" was a reference to some old Jay Ward cartoon characters :rotf:

Would not hesitate to shoot both Moose&Squirrel to get worlds supply of Upseedaisium for Fearless Leader and have a chance to score with Natashia and retire in Frostbite Falls after getting my masters degree in "Evil Crime Execution" from Whatsamatter U. or my name is not Boris Badinoff.

Back