• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tg said:
Would not hesitate to shoot both Moose&Squirrel to get worlds supply of Upseedaisium for Fearless Leader and have a chance to score with Natashia and retire in Frostbite Falls after getting my masters degree in "Evil Crime Execution" from Whatsamatter U. or my name is not Boris Badinoff.
But you need to get last Mososeberry bush for secret ingredient (da mooseberries) in "Hushaboom"!

Regards,
Jay

"But you need to get last Mososeberry bush for secret ingredient (da mooseberries) in "Hushaboom"!

It is good to see that at least someone has remembered some of the real important stuff about our cultural heritage :thumbsup:

TG: Well, I guess you have thoroughly dated yourself with your extensive memory of Jay Ward details my friend! Oh the joy of hearing Edward Everett Horton narrating Fractured Fairy Tales ...
:haha:

Master Blaster, I'd also go for the .58 and a nice heavy Minie.

Day at the range: t/c hawken 50cal w/ 370gr. maxi ball 2.5in. 6 shot group off bench at 100yds. p&h musketoon 58cal.577611 mini ball two in the x ring, but four out side a 6in. square. Looks like the Hawken for main rifle and musketoon as my back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Moose Hunt area I've been scouting in central vermont was ground zero for Hurricane Irene, remote roads don't exist or badly damaged, will have to ATV to as far as possible and walk. This hunt will not be easy. Main road bridges are gone and gates that would have been opened, will stay closed due to damage.

Get yourself a really good meat pack.

And a young athlete to pack it! :rotf:

I can't say for your moose there, but a decent bull up here translates into a minimum of six 100# packs PLUS the rack, PLUS the hide if you keep it.

Congrats on drawing the tag. I`m looking forward to seeing the pic`s of your hunt.

Of those three rifles, I would go with the 45/70 with a good 500 grain bullet. I own a Uberti 1874 Sharps in 45/70 with a tang sight and it is very accurate at 100 yards even with my old eyes.

Woodwright

Master Blaster said:
I've hit the lottery! Got a either sex Moose Permit. Problem is what rifle do I want to take? First choice... Hawken 50cal, or Parker Hale 58cal Musketoon or 1874 45/70 Sharps w/black powder cartridge. Any of the above very accurate at 100yds.

What state?
all thos will be good.

BrownBear said:
Get yourself a really good meat pack.

And a young athlete to pack it! :rotf:

I can't say for your moose there, but a decent bull up here translates into a minimum of six 100# packs PLUS the rack, PLUS the hide if you keep it.
at least!!
:shocked2:

The last good bull I took put 586 pounds of pure boneless meat in our freezer. I haven't weighed it but I'm betting the rack is well over 60 pounds now, several years later. And a wet hide? Sheesh.

One factor up here that's different up here is our wanton waste law. You have to recover ALL the meat including rib meat and neck meat or you'll get a stiff citation. If you pack out the rack before you have removed all the meat from the field, you'll get a similar citation. Lots of hides get left in the woods, not only because they're heavy, but because you're so sick and tired of packing after the meat and the rack, it's hard to stir up one more trip back through the swamps.

586 pounds! Hard to imagine. If I get 86 pounds in the freezer from a large whitetail I'm a happy camper. In fact, 60 to 70 pounds of boned meat is a good deer.

I gotta find me one of those guys someday. :hatsoff:

BrownBear said:
The last good bull I took put 586 pounds of pure boneless meat in our freezer. I haven't weighed it but I'm betting the rack is well over 60 pounds now, several years later. And a wet hide? Sheesh.

One factor up here that's different up here is our wanton waste law. You have to recover ALL the meat including rib meat and neck meat or you'll get a stiff citation. If you pack out the rack before you have removed all the meat from the field, you'll get a similar citation. Lots of hides get left in the woods, not only because they're heavy, but because you're so sick and tired of packing after the meat and the rack, it's hard to stir up one more trip back through the swamps.
don't want to take over the thread but ya HUGE!!
this canadian I called into a buddy back in VT weighed 900 LBS GUTTED!!

moose004.jpg

moose031.jpg

thats why you try and get one with brain worm and walk it out to the road before you shoot it. I know , bad joke.

Vt moose season ended tonight! It's been a tough week, 40mph wind for first two days, the gates to all good areas were supposed to be open, forester closed all to moose hunters, 3rd and 4th days rained, 5th day was not bad and last day rained all day and had 30mph wind. Alot of fun, but no moose taken, one calf was passed on.

Thats to bad. But that is why they call it huntin! You gotta love it. If it was easy everyone would be doin it.
Aim small, miss small...

Back