• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MOOSE SNOT in revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanadan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I wanted to try Stumpkillers Moose Snot for revolvers.First let me say that SNAKEYES sent me a lb. of refined bee's wax many,many thanks(hope I can repay the favor).Made Moose Snot two different ways one with refined bee's wax,the other with unrefined bee's wax.Final product turned out the same,exception, being the color(and a lot of scimming(sp?) on the unrefined bee's wax).Off to the range,temp about 87deg.pistols clean no lube.(humidity 11%)applied the un-refined Moose Snot to the cylinder pin,hand channel,and to the bolt.First load 3fg Swiss,20grns,.380 rb(no wad)all 5 cylinders loaded(RWS 1075 cap).Light apllication over the ball.Second pistol loaded the same only with refined Moose Snot and with the same charge but Goex 3fg.All fired great,no problems,relaoded the two pistols and fired 10 round again.At 30rounds per pistol,took a tooth brush,brushed away some fouling on the front of the cylinder,alcohol patch wiped the hammer and the hammer channel,also wiped the nipples.I would like to add that there was no hard fouling at all,most impotant,no melting,no Gooey mess!Notice I did not wipe the barrel,it was clean.I applied the Moose Snot with a popsicle stick lightly over the balls after loading(capped at the line).I fired a total of 100 rounds between the two revolvers,I used no-SUB powders only the two I mentioned.I have no problem with the bore butter's being commercially offered except in warmer temps they tend to get rather messy.THE TEST WAS DONE WITH BONE STOCK 51 NAVIES(UBERTI'S)only the nipples were changed to protect the innocent(Dragnet)prior to this test.The last ten balls were fired after these two pistols were left the holsters in the hot sun for one hour(UN-CAPPED)again no melting,no greasey mess.Both pistols function smoothly,and without any problems.My hat's off
again to Stumpkiller,and Many thanks to SNAKEYES,next test.58 REMMIES,those that shoot them,know how important good lube is.I hope this has helped.Respectfully Montanadan..P.S. I did lube the star at the rear of the clinder with Moose Snot,before testing,pistols were loaded with the cylinders in the frame throughout entire 100 balls.

Did you notice if the groups were: better, worse, the same - for your round of shooting?

I wanted to add that I carry this lube in a turkey baster syringe to aid in application. Only time it won't push out is on a cold day (that means below 40 for us).

I found that making my homemade lube a little thicker, to stop it melting made it too stiff to use in a syringe, but it turned out to be quicker to paste it over the cylinders, using a plastic knife.

Haven't had any fouling problems yet. Must start using it on my rifle patches, once I use up all the pre-lubed ones.

Anvil-Well to be honest with you,this was more of a function test.Trying to get the revolvers to bind up,Moose Snot to melt,and to see how clean the internals would remain.However, I did use a 25yd(NMLRA)pistol target(slow fire).At 25 yds. the little Navies kept most of the shots in the scoring rings.These two pistols are 51's from Navy Arms with 5" barrels.The Swiss loads showed some promise,with 5" barrel really barked.I prefer the Army grip,these pistols are more for CAS shooting(15yds and in).Again many thanks to STUMPKILLER and SNAKEEYES..;.hope this has helped someone...Respectfully Montanadan

left my lube behind today- thought that would be the end of my shoot, as standing orders call for lube over the ball.

Then I remembered the kitchen!

Shot all day using margarine over the balls- worked fine!

I have used many different kinds of stuff for lube,lard,crisco,and even Vaseline,they all worked pretty good.However when the temperature goes above 80degrees most of this stuff melts and runs all over the place,making the revolvers rather slippery.(especially the grips)I was looking for a lube you could make yourself,that would stay where you put it.One thing I did notice Stump's Moose Snot kept the BP fouling out of the internals.Plus another bonus is,you can use for patch lube.The un-refined bee's wax worked as well(takes a little longer to make, do to skimming).Train your bee's to wipe their feet before entering the hive.(joke-stolen from Stumpkiller)I have no idea if this lube will be satisfactory for cold weather shooting,might be to thick,and cause the revolvers to bind.I will try it and let everyone know the[url] results.Again[/url] many thanks to Snake Eyes(provided more than enough refined bee's wax) and to Stumpkiller..respectfully Montanadan..P.S. Why does vaseline work? when it is a by- procuct of petroleum...

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a little testing yesterday with a fresh batch of
MOOSE SNOT. I place a small blob 3 cm. round on a piece of paper towel and left it in direct sunlight 95 degrees for 4 hours.....to my surprise...it did not melt a bit....
GREAT STUFF ...THAT SNOT. I also put some in the freezer for 12 hours....it does harden a bit, but not rock hard...
i do believe it will pose no problem for COLD weather shootin either!!!! I never thought I would git so excited
over "SNOT" Ha Ha HA HA!!!

*** WV SCROUNGER ***

Back