• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More browning help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjmillig

36 Cal.
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong or need to do differently? My barrel has been hanging in the most humid bathroom in the house, I've been using Laurel Mt Forge solution on it for 3 days, and it still isn't developing the rich brown finish I was hoping for. :confused: Right now it looks like a thin, pale brown. Help please. :bow:

When you say "the most humid bathroom in the house" I am assuming someone is taking hot showers in it???

Even a bathroom's humidity can be pretty low in the winter time.

Although the LMF can be applied to a barrel without "degreasing" it, you might try washing it with a soap made for washing cloths (like TIDE), or wiping it down with alcohol on a clean paper towel.

Don't use a hand soap unless it's Ivory. Most of them contain oils to keep your bosses skin soft.
Then apply another coating of LMF and see what happens.

zonie :)

give it time coat it two times a day. When rust forms card it off slightly then coat again. your metal should have turned a dark color with a rusty haze that will turn to heavier rust as the days go by. I would think 4-6 days 10 coats dependining on the humidty. If you do not card it off the final result will be a rougher finish thats all it also uncovers bare spots.
JB

Zonie said:
I am assuming someone is taking hot showers in it???...
or wiping it down with alcohol on a clean paper towel.
zonie :)
I want to make sure I understand. You mean wipe it down now, even though it's beginning to develop some rust?

Jeffrey Breitman said:
your metal should have turned a dark color with a rusty haze
JB

That describes the look pretty good. I'll make sure to keep the bathroom humid by running the hot shower more often, and let it set up for longer periods of time as y'all suggest.
THANKS!

I run a steam humidifier in my bathroom on the lowest setting and it works great. I put on coats every 3 hours with carding with a cotton cloth in between coats and get good results with 5-6 coats. Don't get it so humid that water starts beading on the barrel or you'll get streaks.

It is never too late to wipe the barrel down with a degreaser, like alcohol. If you have bare spots, its most often the result of a greasing fingerprint! Use the alcohol on the entire barrel, handle it carefully so it does not get anything greasy on it again, and continue applying the LM browning solution. You should be able to apply several coats a day. Do keep the bathroom steamy, by either using a humidifier, or running a hot shower several times a day. Just leave the door to the bathroom open , and the humidity will go out into the entire house, and help all your woodwork, and house plants survive the dry heat of winter heating better.

I'll tell you a simple setup I did and have had amazing luck with. I use a spare closet, but you can use a bathroom just as well. I put a tiny 300 watt "foot" heater in the closet, and a cheapo cold mist humidifier. This keeps heat and humidity at optional levels. If your bathroom is warm, try a humidifier in it to keep humidity levels constant. Winter is dry, and the steam from that hot shower is gone quickly.

You should be getting a fine layer of rust in 3-4 hours or so. Card this off with DEGREASED steel wool, or use a soft metal bristled brush. I use a very soft stainless steel carding brush from Brownells and it's the handiest tool I've ever invested in. Good for keeping files clean also. After carding, reapply the browning solution. It takes a few repetitions before the color is as dark as you want.

Don't let it rust too long though, or you'll get some pitting. Actually, fine pitting makes for a very good looking effect if your metal is a bit too shiny for your tastes.

What you need is a "damp box" As its much esaier to make a small area humid then a large one. Truthfully a cardboard box will work or you can make a wooden box. For a cardboard one find a box slighly longer than your barrel (its okay if it has to go in diagonally). Get some dowel rods. Push the dowel rods through the box about 6 inches from the bottom. Get some plastic containers and some sponges. Put the sponges in the containers and the containers in the bottom of the box. Put some hot water into each dish wetting the sponge well. Coat your barrel rest it on the dowel rods, close up the box, cover it with and old blanket and set it some place warm. Its not fancy but it will work. Also one of the best things I've found to card off the rust is old denium.

I hang mine in the basement over the sump pump,also I use plum brown, whatever it works. Bob :grin:

Go ahead and wash with alcohol. It will not affect the browning and will degreese any area that may still have oils on it. Then continue applying the solution. It is harder to get things to brown very quickly in the winter. A damp or humidity box is a good idea but your bathroom should work. Card lihtly with old canvas or old denim until the rust starts getting more aggressive. All carding material should be degreesed as well. Wear rubber gloves to handle the metal once degreesed and when carding and re-applying solution. It may be taking longer than anticipated but you will get there.

I do mine in a small bathroom I can steam up... I have never had to wait more than 2-3 hours between applications. I usually do about 5 applications.

What grit did you use to finish the metal... too smooth (>180 grit) may slow things up considerably.

:) I'm getting some good color now! I carded then wiped it down with alcohol, then after that all evaporated I reapplied browning and heated the bathroom back up with the shower just enough to start to feel it in the air, not condensing on the barrel. I'll let it go overnight and card in the morning because I do want a more aggressive look.
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!! :hatsoff:

Finally finished my barrel! After the final overnight setup, I washed it with hot water and baking soda, then a light coat of linseed oil. It's not perfect by my own standard, but looks prety good. The final effect is a kind of chocolate look, darker than I thought it would be while it was rusting. Overall I'm pleased, and I'll know better what to do next time in the way of preparation and maintaining humidity. I cant show pictures right now due to lack of digital photography capability.
As usual, thanks for all the good advice. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back