• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More smokepole squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since the only hunting season open in Missouri right now is squirrel season, I just can't help myself when it comes to killing these critters. I have a bunch of white oaks right around my house and they are loaded with acorns. The squirrels are lining up to dine on them and it sure helps ease my hunting jones by bringing a few of them to the house with Ole Betsy.
FlintlockSquirrel-1_zpschadj9ze.jpg
FlintlockSquirrel-2_zpsxhd8w3gs.jpg
FlintlockSquirrel-3_zpsco4t71fc.jpg

I killed several singles this weekend mainly because they were squirrels of opportunity and I wasn't really hunting them. I'd step out on the porch to go do something and hear one whittling on a nut so I'd go back in, get my flinter and go back out to make some smoke. I did actually go out and hunt yesterday morning and got a double but one of them was in the white oak at the corner of the porch so I can't say I really had to hunt him much.
FlintlockSquirrel-4_zpsbkutiemz.jpg

I was telling my buddy, Cool Johnny, about my escapades at his barber shop this past Saturday and he started whining that he sure could use a mess of fried squirrel. Seeing as how I had plenty, I turned some of my carcasses into vittles last night and will be bringing those to him and the boys for lunch today; fried squirrel, fried taters and buttermilk gravy. I purposely did not include the buttermilk biscuits in this photo because I didn't want you all licking your computer screens.
FlintlockSquirrel-5_zpseezckd1j.jpg

Darren

That's the way to get it done! Nothing wrong with taking advantage of a "near-the-house" opportunity! :thumbsup: I've done it many times.

Looking at that food picture...ah darn...now I have to wipe the lick marks off my screen AGAIN! :wink: :grin:

That looks mighty tasty!! :hatsoff: fried squirrels and biscuits and gravy makes one fine meal!.

That was fun to read and the meal looks delicious! The gun is beautiful and deadly but that bag is OUTSTANDING!! Thanks for posting these pictures. Greg. :)

Man oh man. I would rather have a plate full of squirrel rolled in flower and fried than the best steak in KC, with bisects an squirrel gravy on the side. But I ain't had any for a long time living in MT.

Critter Getter said:
You must be trappin them tree rats ' cause I aint seein no red where ya shot 'em!? Greg. :)

Mainly I just stare at them real hard and ugly them to death. I have to make sure I cover up half my face, though, so I don't tear them up too bad!

Darren

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Way ta go.No matter close to home or down the road,they taste the same"GOOD". :hatsoff: Griz

Same problem here in Colorado. Just the little pine squirrels. They taste sorta like pine. Takes about ten of em to make a serving :haha:

Mainly I just stare at them real hard and ugly them to death. I have to make sure I cover up half my face, though, so I don't tear them up too bad!
Darren[/quote]

I used to do something similar. I used to take my first wife hunting with me. She was so ugly that she would stare at them and they would fall out of the tree, dead. I had to quit taking her though, she was tearing them up too bad to skin........robin :idunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear that the squirrel population is up out in Missouri. Well, down by three that is... :hatsoff:
Good shooting. :thumbsup:

I am happy you did not post the biscuits, I am already licking the computer.

Omitting the Butter milk Biscuits did not help! My screen sure was dusty!!

Boy how I miss hunting them little rascals!! Yum!!!

Great photos. What load are you shooting?

Here's one I shot with my newly finished .30 cal. Tennessee style flinter a couple days ago. Later, I shot another with my longbow, and had a great lunch. Boiled til tender, then browned and barbequed. Very tasty.

2015 gish by okawbow, on Flickr

Back