• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moroccan moukhala reproduction - legit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CS

32 Cal
Reaction score
Was trying to find a moukhala reproduction of some sort because I think they're a quite beautiful piece of history. I'm not interested in an antique, but rather something contemporary manufactured, a nice reproduction.

Found these on etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1792114941/moroccan-handmade-wooden-rifle?

or

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1667212786/carabine-marocaine-traditionnelle-en?

They're pricey - between $1000 and 2000, and they ship from Morocco, so it actualyl gives me a bit of hope they are actually shootable / real guns. Of course, they've got a percussion lock, not a miquelet or even flintlock. Which I guess is fine (I haven't really seen anyone get their hands on a moukhala or jezail that isn't an antique? so it seems this is the best repro that's out there?)

... But what do you think of the chances this is totally a scam and I end up with something nonfunctional?

Appreciate in advance the kind advice, thanks!

Last edited:
Was trying to find a moukhala or a jezail reproduction of some sort because I think they're a quite beautiful piece of history. I'm not interested in an antique, but rather something contemporary manufactured, a nice reproduction.

Found these on etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1792114941/moroccan-handmade-wooden-rifle?

or

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1667212786/carabine-marocaine-traditionnelle-en?

They're pricey - between $1000 and 2000, and they ship from Morocco, so it actualyl gives me a bit of hope they are actually shootable / real guns. Of course, they've got a percussion lock, not a miquelet or even flintlock. Which I guess is fine (I haven't really seen anyone get their hands on a moukhala or jezail that isn't an antique? so it seems this is the best repro that's out there?)

... But what do you think of the chances this is totally a scam and I end up with something nonfunctional?

Appreciate in advance the kind advice, thanks!
I didn’t think Etsy allowed the sale of firearms. Perhaps just wall art.

Don’t want to disappoint you but, read between the lines,
‘ About this item
Introducing a one-of-a-kind Moroccan handmade wooden rifle, adorned with decorative metal, now available on Etsy. This beautiful piece is a true work of art, showcasing the skilled craftsmanship and attention to detail that is synonymous with traditional Moroccan design.

Crafted from rich, high-quality wood, this rifle features intricate carving and elegant curves that are both beautiful and functional. The wood is treated with a special finish, adding to its durability and longevity, while also giving it a smooth and polished appearance.

But what truly sets this rifle apart is the decorative metalwork that adorns its surface. Each piece of metal has been expertly crafted and painstakingly placed to create a stunning, one-of-a-kind design. From the intricate patterns to the shimmering silver and brass accents, this rifle is truly a sight to behold.

Whether you're a collector of unique and rare items or simply appreciate the beauty of traditional craftsmanship, this Moroccan handmade wooden rifle is sure to impress. It's a perfect addition to any home decor, or a striking centerpiece for your collection. So why wait? Order yours today and experience the beauty and elegance of Moroccan design for yourself.“

As I understand the above the ‘’rifle’’ is made of wood, barrel included.

And from the other site,
‘’ Carabine marocaine traditionnelle en bois faite main ornée de métal décoratif . . .’’
Much the same in French,
Traditional Moroccan carbine in wood decorated in metal, again no mention of the barrel.

Cavet emptor.

Edit.
I think for the prices asked you could get, or go a long way towards getting, a reproduction, more to your liking made in the USA.

Last edited:
Don’t want to disappoint you but, read between the lines,
‘ About this item
Introducing a one-of-a-kind Moroccan handmade wooden rifle, adorned with decorative metal, now available on Etsy. This beautiful piece is a true work of art, showcasing the skilled craftsmanship and attention to detail that is synonymous with traditional Moroccan design.

Crafted from rich, high-quality wood, this rifle features intricate carving and elegant curves that are both beautiful and functional. The wood is treated with a special finish, adding to its durability and longevity, while also giving it a smooth and polished appearance.

But what truly sets this rifle apart is the decorative metalwork that adorns its surface. Each piece of metal has been expertly crafted and painstakingly placed to create a stunning, one-of-a-kind design. From the intricate patterns to the shimmering silver and brass accents, this rifle is truly a sight to behold.

Whether you're a collector of unique and rare items or simply appreciate the beauty of traditional craftsmanship, this Moroccan handmade wooden rifle is sure to impress. It's a perfect addition to any home decor, or a striking centerpiece for your collection. So why wait? Order yours today and experience the beauty and elegance of Moroccan design for yourself.“

As I understand the above the ‘’rifle’’ is made of wood, barrel included.

And from the other site,
‘’ Carabine marocaine traditionnelle en bois faite main ornée de métal décoratif . . .’’
Much the same in French,
Traditional Moroccan carbine in wood decorated in metal, again no mention of the barrel.

Cavet emptor.

Edit.
I think for the prices asked you could get, or go a long way towards getting, a reproduction, more to your liking made in the USA.
Thanks @Colonial Boy and @PathfinderNC for the insight... indeed I suspected it would be too good to be true. -- and your opinion that it might be entirely WOOD does make sense for a site like Etsy....

But if what you say is the case -- that I can likely get it made here in the US, that would be fantastic, I would be ecstatic!

The only reason I started searching elsewhere is I did not know of gunsmiths who would potentially be willing to make "wierd" guns like these (i.e. beyond your fowlers, fusils, and besses). Browsing on the forum, I saw that many of the celebrated oldies who took on these kinds of odd projects, are no longer with us, or no longer taking projects (Leonard Day, etc.)

If you guys know of the names of great gun smiths still around who have taken on such odd projects before and would be interested such again (even better it if was not with percussion lock as seen on this etsy page, but with a more appropriate miquelet or snaphaunce), that would be great!

Last edited:
Maybe made from India musket parts? Maybe that’s an original 1861 lock that was polished, who knows?

Hi CS

As mentioned above, the replicas you have been looking at are strictly wall hangers for decoration. And, as mentioned, the barrels are likely also made of wood.
Here is a custom made replica that is available now. Although it does not copy a Moroccan gun (the powder horn does) it does copy a Jazail style of gun from Afghanistan. And this one you can take to the range and shoot it the day you receive it. Very cool gun.

https://www.lodgewood.com/Custom-Sindhi-Indian-Jezail-Musket-By-Steve-Krolick_p_6637.html

For a genuine Moroccan style musket, it would actually be easier and less expensive to buy an original in decent condition and have the bore of the barrel refurbished and the lock repaired or tuned. The key is to find one with a stock that is in reasonable condition. One without an over-abundance of decoration. One like this could probably be had for around the $6-800.00 range. The auction houses seem to have these guns in various conditions for sale all the time. The "right" gun is out there. Will just take some time and patience to locate one.

Here is a Link to a Thread here on the Forum where a member is rebuilding a Moroccan musket using a new made stock. You might find this interesting reading.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/moroccan-afedali-snaphaunce-rebuild.183104/

Rick

I mean, it does specifically say in the item details that the materials are “wooden, bois, fer” (wooden, wood, iron) and “But make no mistake, this rifle is more than just a work of art, it is a formidable weapon designed for precision and reliability. The barrel, cleverly striped for maximum precision, ensures consistent performance with every shot. Whether for hunting, target shooting or for demonstration, this rifle promises unparalleled quality and know-how.”
“Rayé” means both “striped” and “rifled.” I don’t think I would spend that kind of money without talking to the vendor first, but the listing does say that it’s the real deal. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Jay

You can always message the seller and ask?
When I was in Morocco 15 years ago, there were a lot of reproduction Moukhalas that were being passed off as original but did not function at all.
2010mouk.jpg

There are however some people who have some kind of repro that look similar to that listing using them in Morocco for traditional festivals/blank fire

655EFCB7-B473-4BDC-B0F4-1B7B1F2C5C2E.jpeg

Last edited:
You can always message the seller and ask?
When I was in Morocco 15 years ago, there were a lot of reproduction Moukhalas that were being passed off as original but did not function at all.
View attachment 349093

There are however some people who have some kind of repro that look similar to that listing using them in Morocco for traditional festivals/blank fire

View attachment 349094
View attachment 349099
Looks like they are having fun I only saw a ceremonial charge firing off these guns on horses in Agadir for visit of King Hassan the Second back in 1965.But I did see an original Snaphance still in use in Algeria which wasn't too for away & East of Agadir fA fine old gentleman had it , small oasis dwellers up the road from Adrar it was all mime but mime works.
Rudyard

Back