• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mortimer Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhorse

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the Mortimer Rifle, ie: time frame, cal.'s, geographics/demographics etc. Since I have been muzzleloading for almost 20 years and reenacting history 13 years or so, I have always tried to be different. So I am always attempting to find the firearms that are not the norm. Everyone carries a "longrifle" cuz, they is a "longhunter". SO what about the Mortimer.. As always any help or insight is appreciated.

If you are asking about the Pedersoli Mortimer, I have one. It's a well made, good shooting rifle, if a little heavy. It's representitive of a late flint period (1820's?)English sporting rifle. Caliber is .54, with a roundball twist. They made a 12 Gauge shotgun version, too.

The barrel is beautifully browned, the checkered halfstock is walnut with a cheek piece, and the furniture is case colored steel. The lock has a waterproof pan with a roller in the frizzen spring, and has a "stalking safety" which is a sliding bar that engages the hammer at halfcock and withdraws automatically when the piece is brought to fullcock.

Blackpowder Hunting mag. did an article on it a few years ago.

I live in Denver, so shoot me a PM if you want to see mine or copy the article.
Gene

If you are asking about the Pedersoli Mortimer, I have one. It's a well made, good shooting rifle, if a little heavy. It's representitive of a late flint period (1820's?)English sporting rifle. Caliber is .54, with a roundball twist. They made a 12 Gauge shotgun version, too.

The barrel is beautifully browned, the checkered halfstock is walnut with a cheek piece, and the furniture is case colored steel. The lock has a waterproof pan with a roller in the frizzen spring, and has a "stalking safety" which is a sliding bar that engages the hammer at halfcock and withdraws automatically when the piece is brought to fullcock.

Blackpowder Hunting mag. did an article on it a few years ago.

I live in Denver, so shoot me a PM if you want to see mine or copy the article.
Gene

Pedersoli guns are akin to Forrest Gump's mom's box of chocolates, you just never know what you are going to get?

I have one of these fine rifles as well, and its a piece of work. I believe that H.G. Mortimer was armorer to the english crown in the early to mid 19th century. Ive only seen two reproductions of Mortimer rifles, the one Pedersoli makes, and there was a rifle on the cover of American Rifleman many moons ago that was made by Peter Alexander of Arizona. I think. My memory aint what it once was.

Tanstaafl, I only know four people who own these rifles, but I have talked to about a dozen and to a man everyone has had nothing but good to say about the Pedersoli Mortimer. What was the problem with yours? Just curious because this is the first time Ive heard anyone speak poorly of them.

I have the Pedersoli Mortimer 12 ga. shotgun. I have had no problems with it, it shoots very well, and has taken a couple of deer, squirells, and a turkey. Don't know about the rifle, but I assume it is just the same as the shotgun,except with a rifled barrel. You will be happy with it. :imo:

I have a good friend who has a Mortimer with both a rifled and 12 bore shotgun barrel. He swears by it. He did have a problem with a soft frizzen, but he hardened it himself. He recently rebuilt the lock, but figures that is to be expected. The gun had over 9000 rounds through it plus an unknown amount of dry firing. Seems reasonable to me.
Oh, and this is his only gun. So it is used for hunting, plinking and target shooting. It is an early one--actually the first one I ever saw. Has a nice piece of walnut for a stock--it has some pretty flame in it. It's just my opinion of course, but I think he got his money's worth.

Tanstaafl, I only know four people who own these rifles, but I have talked to about a dozen and to a man everyone has had nothing but good to say about the Pedersoli Mortimer. What was the problem with yours? Just curious because this is the first time Ive heard anyone speak poorly of them.

A little over three years ago I fell for Pedersoli's slick catalog, advert hype, and purchased a Target Mortimer with a supposedly interchangeable 12 ga. shotgun barrel.

If I remember right, I paid over $1360.00 for the package, and it was absolute garbage. After a protracted and very acrimonious back and forth, I finally got my money refunded. I still get buck ague shakes when I hear the merits being touted as to the quality of Pedersoli muzzleloaders.

I have a suspicion that the later guns are not up to the quality levels of the older ones. It seems a shame that as Pedersoli prices approach the level of semi-custom guns, the quality level is heading south. Guess it isn't the first time that has happened.

I suppose these Pederoseli(spelling ??)rifles are like ex-wives to some men. The ex-hubby hates them but the new guy who's doin' her swears she 's good. LOL LOL LOL

pedersoli is a love hate relationship for me.. ive taken alot of game with my pedersoli shotguns, but wont shoot them anymmore.. the mortimer lock is small and the flint wont hold up to a long days shooting like a good large quality military lock. it is also much more difficult to knapp, and cant be knapped as many times.. a good number 7 flint can be fired 30 times, be knapped and shoot like its a new flint when in a good large lock.. i could go on and on about their(pedersoli) problems, but i would give a finger and 1000 dollars to get my mortimer shotgun in a made in the usa quality.. if my virginia lock goes bad its 8-20 dollar part from jim chambers. if its on my pedersoli its a new 200 dollar lock and maybe major fitting problems.. the pedersoli mortimers are dated becouse as time goes on they will dissapear, as parts are not available.. thier triggers/ sears can be soft, and may need to be redone when you first get them.. .. my nippels i ordered from their dealer on my 10 gauge wouldnt hold a cap.. i asked flintlocks etc to replace the bad ones and they said tough luck, put some finger nail polish on them.. i tried to contact thier repair department for some stuff in texas and no calls were returned for monthes.. i wrote them a letter and they finnally replied and said since the gun was out of warranty they couldnt do anything for me..i called track of the wolf years ago and they said they dont handle or sell pedersoli becouse of the parts problems.. (they do sell some consignment pedersolis) i oredered a second shotgun barrel from flintlocks etc and it had a dogleg in it at least a quarter inch out of strait and he said it was fine.. the butt plug was about 1/2 inch longer than the one in my gun and the touch hole now where nearly lined up.. i had a fight to return it but thank goodness i paid for it with a credit card.. pedersolis are nice looking guns but when the parts become nesssesary they are junkera.. they make big runs of guns and they are fitted to each other but the runs wont fitother runs, so parts need to be modified.. as you look at the price of these modifications down the road it will clearly make sence at that time to move on and get a good custom gun.. for starting out, and for trial and new shooters getting into black powder they are terrific, but they are a starter gun in my case... i have won two state championships with a pedersoli 10 gauge sxs, so its a love hate relationship like ive said.. but i do not wish to get it out and go thru the rigandmarole of dealing with it when i can take out my trouble free chambers mark silver 16 guage.. i can order a barrel, lock part, butt cap,stock, trigger part,front sight, etc, whatever i need,recive them withing a week/ten days, (except barrel and stock) and fit them in myself in a reasonable amount of time.. if you break a pedersoli stock you may as well start from scratch with new stock, sell the parts or throw it away.. i doubt youll ever get a new stock from pedersoli... its the same thing on the sharps forums.. the pedersoi shooters brag up thier good guns when one shoots, and im sure many do, but some do not.. .. the old timers say fine, but if you break a part at the championsships,and it does happen, some of the guys will have shilo, c sharps parts but the pedersoli guns need to be custom fitted and your usually out of the competition utill you get it to a gunsmith..that would be a sad end to a good run at the nationals.. well enought ranting and raveing.. there fine very nice looking guns,but you get what you pay for.. dave.

I guess I was lucky in buying mine so long ago. I bought the rifle in 1992 and the only thing Ive done to it was to drill out the ramrod hole and make a rod for it. I dont remember exactly, but I think I paid $675 for it from Navy Arms. Even at that time I would estimate that if you paid a builder to reproduce the rifle it would have been upwards of $2000. Ive probably shot mine around 10,000 times and never had any problems. So, like I said, I guess I was just lucky that I got a good one.

since no one seems to want to tell you about who, what ,ect back then (that is what you ask , not about Ped.. ) it was a upper class gun like now you had to have some bucks to get one its english top hat shooting ect. as far as Peds go everything everyone said is right! I had 3 paper or brass with a little hole in it sharps ....50 cal everything on it needed to be hardened, but it sure looked great like the " Down Under" rifle, it shot ok And a Tryon creedmore target 451, 15 yrs or so later and it still shoots much better than I can at 50,100 up to 200. Parts cost about the same as a new car not a cheap car! on the bright side flintlocks used to send out a sales sheet and you could pick up some of the 700 to 1000 guns 300 or so cheaper. I wouldnt get another one but it would take new cost to grt mine from me. :front:

I have the shotgun version My only real complaint is that the hole for the powder chamber in the patent breech is to small and fouls easily. I tried pulling the breechplug to drill it out but it prooved too tough. One day I'll send the barrel to someone better qualified. 'till then I do what I can to keep the fouling to a minimum.When I do that, ignition is good. I
also had it jug choked which gives very good patterns well out beyond what you'd get with a clyinder bore.

Latest posts

Back