• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Most accurate .31 or .36 caliber c&b?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a consensus on the most accurate cap and ball revolver in the .31 or .36 caliber class. I was thinking of small game and varmints.

Thanks

i have the .31 remington pocket pistol and the 1858 remington .36 pistol.
the .36 is more acurate to me.
i can use 30 grains of 3f in the .36, only 8 grains 3f in the .31

i wouldn't use the .31 for anything but target shooting.

also the .36 is basicly a .38 special without shells. the .31 is basicly .32 smith & wesson with out shells.

Big

The 58 version will be stronger and probably give you greater longevity. It may even be intrinsicly more accurate than say the 1851 or 61 Navy, but having owned and shot quite a few of both, I believe the Navy to be the most accurate for point shooting. The Navy revolvers point like lasers as the bore is right beneath the front sight. It's almost like a natural pointing shotgun. You just know when you are goint to break the clay bird.

I have a 51 Navy that I regularly use to take squirrel when I'm hunting with either a shotgun or long rifle. From time to time, you have a crittur that just comes a little close for the long guns. Put a squirrel within 10 long steps from my stand, and it's potted in the head with that Navy revolver.

Dan

Back