• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Most accurate flintlock rifle you own

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this one, 3 shots 50yds offhand. it will do it if i can. 54 cal. TVM rice barrel and bob roller lock,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
54 GROUP 3.jpg

My most accurate flinter is a Bob Hoyt made .58 cal 1:66 twist made to fit my T/C Renegade. On a good day I can shoot a 3 shot cloverleaf at 50 yards. Never shot worse than 1.5" at 50 yards. And it thumps a deer pretty hard too. I'm hoping to hammer a bear with it this year. Either with this one or my .58 GM barrel in another Renegade stock.

Very nice..I bet you don't shoot like that every day. That's awesome shooting.
I found that some days everything just clicks...the lighting the clarity of the sights and a tad bit of luck.
LOL, no i don't shoot like that every day. and you notice i don't show the ones where i missed shots! that one was in front of my wife, she saw me do it. but i do shoot good enough to get by,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That would have to be my Southern Mountain Rifle. 40 cal, Rice Radius Groove barrel. I call it Laser beam accurate. Seriously, you can't miss a Squirrel with it inside 50 yards.

30 grains of FFFG Goex, .390 ball, pillow ticking spit patch.

For deer, I have used 70 grains FFFG, .390 ball, pillow ticking patch lubed with dried moose milk or mink tallow from Track.

ALTHOUGH, I feel the 40 cal is too light for deer in my opinion. I have done it, but I don't advise it.

Attachments

• 20211126_162741_optimized.jpg
    20211126_162741_optimized.jpg
    1.7 MB
I just shot my TVM Southern today at 100 yards; I haven't fired a muzzleloader at 100 yards in about 15 years!
The load is written on the target. The bottom of that target measures about 7 inches across, which is very close to what my front sight subtends at 100 yards. Shot from sandbags, temp about 50 degrees and almost no wind.
I'll add, I NEVER could have gotten a good target picture with a traditional rear sight. I was using one of Tom A Hawk's excellent tang peeps.
After I saw that the first two hits (upper two holes) were so close to each other, I was a bit hesitant to take a third shot, for fear of ruining the group. But the third shot plunked itself down betwixt the other two. I measured the group when I got home; 1.080 inches, centre-to-centre.

I reckon this will be a great deer load as far as I'm willing to shoot, which I'm thinking will be a maximum of about 70-75 yards.
southern1.jpg
Target Southern.jpg

Like most people, it's my Kibler SMR. Mine is 36 cal and can cloverleaf 5 shots at 50 yards from a bench using a .350" RB, a .020" oiled patch, 30 grains 3F and with wiping between every shot. Unfortunately I can't seem to hit anything at 100 yards with it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230603_160414386.jpg
    PXL_20230603_160414386.jpg
    2.5 MB
  • PXL_20220517_011425907~2.jpg
    PXL_20220517_011425907~2.jpg
    1.8 MB
Best result at 50 Yards on the NMLRA 6 bull target was a 50-5X off of cross sticks. The rifle is a bench built 32 caliber and has a Douglas XXX barrel that is around 45 years old. Even with years of shooting it still shoots center.

Thats a tough one, let's see, they are all min. of deer except for the .32 and its min. of squirrel. won't own a gun that won't shoot good. And that is for un-mentionable also.

Despite the fact I did identify a rifle as super accurate (young eyes) my older eyes don't do so well any longer. The rifles are very accurate but I no longer am. I can shoot about as well with sewer-pipe barreled gun as I can with any custom rifle you can name....which means I'm now a very lousy shot.

I guess bragging on your rifle is kind of like bragging on your retriever but we all do it so here's mine. I built it around 1978 or 80. Ron Griffie .50 round bottom rifling barrel, Siler lock, hand forged hardware. Not a thing of beauty but it was very accurate and was my main target rifle. In a competition at an Eastern, I once hit a hunk of railroad rail at 100 yards offhand but missed at 110 yards to lose the prize. I was also a LOT younger then. I did win many hanging hams, bottles of hanging liquor, etc. with it too.

Attachments

• .50 southern mountain rifle.JPG
    .50 southern mountain rifle.JPG
    40.4 KB
  • .50 southern mountain rifle 2.JPG
    .50 southern mountain rifle 2.JPG
    59 KB
Last edited:
Only have one, which I built with my friend Lew Robinson over thirty years ago. Stock from a blank, Siler lock kit, .54 cal Swamped Douglas barrel, Lew made the patch box and did the carving. It's good to have friends!

Frosty

Attachments

• JP Beck.jpg
    JP Beck.jpg
    806.8 KB
Could a Pedersoli 1816 fitted with a rear sight and a barrel rifled for .635 round ball make an accurate flat shooting cannon? Or would the lock be just be too dadgum clunky? I'd like to find out and soon the eye results may tell me whether to bother getting the barrel.

While not my most accurate rifle off a bench, the rifle I shoot best with is my TVM Early Virginia (left handed) .50 caliber flintlock. The attached target was shot offhand at 100 yards. The first four measure just inside 2"; I called the nine. It is my "go to" gun for serious shooting.

ADK Bigfoot

Attachments

• Close up 49 2x.jpeg
    Close up 49 2x.jpeg
    891 KB
My first black powder gun when I was a kid was a .40 percussion gun from Jack Garner. Tremendous little gun. It won a lot of rendezvous.

IMG_6174.jpeg

My Kibler .58 is probably a better gun, but my eyes simply can’t do what they did 20 years ago. I’d love to do a wood walk with it. At 50 yards (as shown below) it can do some good work off the benchIMG_6173.jpeg
IMG_6172.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got two T/C Renegades, with aperture sights, that will scare the devil out of an inch, 3 shots, at 50 yards.
Gotta get up the nerver to try them at 100. I don't do my best with flinters...

Back