• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Most 'Authentic' Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrufflerSteve

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just curious about who makes Hawken rifles that are closest in look to the original ones. I have a TC Hawken percussion and I'd like to make the move to something as close to what what Jake and Sam Hawken made. I'd also like something somewhat affordable. And since I'm asking the impossibel, one whose barrel is optimized for patched ball, not Maxi-balls and such.

Is this an impossible dream?

Steve

Pic of me in 1982 with a S. Hawken had made in the early 70's by the late Bill (Swiftwater) Fuller of Cooper Landing Alaska. He had two original Hawkens that he used for producing very accurate replicas. Has a 36 inch .56 Bill Large barrel and Cherry Corners lock.

Boy has it now and she still shoots plumb center.

Roland.JPG

<<< You could get a slow twist, longer more roundball friendly barrel for your T/C hawken. >>>

Yes, but we were discussing Hawkens. :crackup:

Sorry, I could not help tweaking you there, bud. I also have some T/Cs and have a soft spot for them because they were my initiation into the ML world.

Back to rifling twist:
Actually, I understand that the original Hawkens almost all had 1/48 twist as that was what the rifling machine was set up to do.

CS

Is this an impossible dream?

Im trying the same thing. Looks like Kits and building is the way to go, if you want an American made gun. If Country of Origin was not an issue you can simply get A great plains rifle in Ball twist.

Nice but pricey kit, 1:48 twist
http://www.thehawkenshop.com/hawkenshop.asp
I think Round Ball has convinced me that I dont have to have the roundball twist, but Im still wanting to find the slower twist, mainly because of the Tradition, and not so much the performance.

also starting to consider something other than a hawken
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/lemanhalf.shtml
This site has hawken kits as well.

Wolf has nice Kits, Hawkens and Lemans (link wordwrapped, has no spaces)
http://trackofthewolf.com/categories/partList.aspx?catID=13&subID=77&styleID=297

Id like to know what you decide on, Im still in research mode, but getting closer.

Have you checked out the Leman rifles ? I have also looked for non Italy made Hawkens and I dont think you can get them built and ready to go for under $800.00.TOTW and Pectonica rifle works sell kits as mentioned.Not real helpful.sorey.

Pic of me in 1982 with a S. Hawken had made in the early 70's by the late Bill (Swiftwater) Fuller of Cooper Landing Alaska. He had two original Hawkens that he used for producing very accurate replicas. Has a 36 inch .56 Bill Large barrel and Cherry Corners lock.
TANSTAAFL - Sure looks like the real thing!

CrufflerSteve - Don Sith would be my pick too!

I'd like to recommend the Austin & Halleck Mountain rifle with the 1 in 66" barrel as another "contender" with the Lyman Great Plains rifle. I have owned and liked both. The only thing "wrong" about the Lyman is it's blued and not browned. Yes you can strip off the bluing and re-brown it. The Lyman is available in either .50 or .54 while the A&H is only available in .50 at this time. Both are available in flint or percussion. Both can also be had for much the same price with some shopping around. The A&H has some choice in the grade of wood. Some folks have had problems with the A&H, but then so did the Lyman when it first came out. :m2c:

Thanks for all your input. Don Stith's rifles do look really good and I might end up with one.

From what I've seen, Hawken started offering percussion in 1830? If so, I'm interested in the earlier styles.

There are several variations I've seen in what's for sale out there. Can anybody help me with whether or not Hawken offered them and when:

1. Half-stock models. I like the looks of a full stock but I'm not opposed to a flinter half-stock if they were actually offered in the pre-cap period.

2. Brass vs. iron trigger furniture. Is seems iron came first. Is brass at all correct?

3. Patch boxes. I like the looks of them and they are handy. The repros and pictures I've seen of early models don't have them. Anybody know when they turned up?

4. Is browning the proper finish?

Is there anything else which distinguishes the early from the later models? I know it could be hard to work out since some early ones were re-worked later.

Steve

Dave what are your thoughts on the locks of the A&H vs. GPR. I too have both and think the A&H is a far piece ahead in quality compared to the GPR.

I'd go the austin route.
:m2c:

CrufflerSteve,

ithaca guns made a hawken rifle back in 70s(?) with a Cherry corner locks, set triggers and I'm told a douglas barrel. Since I bought mine a while back I've seen one other surface. I was also told or read that John Baird was involved in the design of that model. it is a good quality rifle and occasionaly you can find a few of those gems out there.

Smokeydays

Steve,
While you are out looking for a new rifle to suit your needs, be sure to try to find a old "Sharon" rifle. I have one now (it is a full stock, 50 cal. flinter), but in the past have owned two of their half stock hawkens, both percussion. Good, strong guns very close to the true hawken looks. They are heavy, but can hold some sizable loads with less recoil than the newer versions. Last I knew, the makers went out of business maybe fifteen years ago, but they are still out there. Ask around, handle one or two and I hope you find a nice gun that will meet your needs and wants.
mike.

Back