• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Most popular BP granulation?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
It's come time for me to order another lot of black powder. I have burnt up about seven pounds of 2f and two pounds of 3f over the last few months.
I was wondering what granulation most of you shoot in .54 caliber.
I have done a lot of shooting with 3f Goex lately and am impressed with the accuracy with roundball and low fouling.
On the other hand, I also shoot some heavy conicals out of one of my rifles and think 2f is better for launching the big hunks of lead. I have not tried 3f with the big conicals yet.
What are your thoughts?

Huntin Dawg

I am sure you would be quite happy with the KIK FFG. Burns really clean. :v

In my 54 T/C I used to shoot 2F Goex. I switched to 3F Goex and love it. I use less powder and the accuracy and less fouling is great.

Huntin Dawg said:
It's come time for me to order another lot of black powder. I have burnt up about seven pounds of 2f and two pounds of 3f over the last few months.
I have done a lot of shooting with 3f Goex lately and am impressed with the accuracy with roundball and low fouling.
On the other hand, I also shoot some heavy conicals out of one of my rifles and think 2f is better for launching the big hunks of lead. I have not tried 3f with the big conicals yet.
What are your thoughts?
Huntin Dawg
I use Goex 3F for 99% of my shooting....45/.50/.54cal round ball, one of which I shoot most every week end.

2F for the heavier .58cal round ball, and for shot loads in the .20 and .12ga smoothbores.

When I've ordered cases, I've mixed them:
4F - 1
3F - 20
2F - 4

Huntin Dawg said:
What are your thoughts?

Huntin Dawg

Looks like you already know what to do. You like the FFF for round ball and FF for heavier conicals. FFF seems to develop pressure sooner than FF and you can usually use a little less of the FFF. The ball probably fills out the bore (obturates)sooner with the FFF.

Jim Gefroh always uses FF Swiss in his 8 and 10 bore African rifles, but he's also using much heavier charges than normal human beings would.

Stumpkiller, You've made mention of the Rice Barrels. What's you're opinion of them. Also, I see that you're somewhat a neighbor of mine. Do you drive down to Montrose PA for your powder or do you order it?

I shoot Goex FFFG in my .54's. 80-90 grains, with patched round balls. I don't shoot many conicals, so I can't give my opinion here. If you are getting a 5, or 25 pound order, why not order both FFG, and FFFG. As you know, trying different load combinations, is interesting, and fun. So go for it!

I'm going to try my conicals with the 3f this weekend. I checked my load data and found I have achieved good groups with one conical and 90 grains of 3f. I imagine I can get good groups out of my others also.
I think I will go with all 3f. Maybe a pound of 4f for the flinter pan.

Huntin Dawg

I've got a .50, and my last purchase was 1 4F, 1 2F, and 1 3F. I've come to prefer the 3F, so I can prime from the same horn.

But I'm still in the testing stage.... :hmm:

Legion

I use FFF Goex for both my 45 cal rifle and my Centermark Tulle 20 gauge. Works fine in the barrel and the pan.

Tony

Well, I just ordered nine pounds of 3f and one pound of 4f.
I have a couple pounds of 2f right now so it will last a while.
Most weekends I burn up at least 1/3 pound of powder in my short range sessions.

Huntin Dawg

Back