• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"most universal Shot size"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnail

54 Cal.
Reaction score
What size shot works best as an all round general GP load for small game?

I'm gonna venture somewhere in the range of 7 1/2 to 4, depending on the details of your location and game options. I use more #5 than anything else because I shoot more snowshoe hare than anything else, and #5 gives full penetration and good patterns while #6 don't penetrate fully and the pattern thins too soon for my needs with #4.

If I was mostly hunting waterfowl it would be #4 without a doubt. If I was mostly hunting ptarmigan it would probably be #7 1/2 with #6 reserved for windy days and longer shooting.

If I could get suitable nontox in #5 that would probably be my standard for waterfowl too. I've mistakenly carried a flask of #5 lead for ptarmigan and didn't feel too handicapped, so that's another endorsement of #5 for my world.

Skagan said:
In a muzzleloader, I've come to settle on #5s as my general purpose shot size for upland small game I have around here such as squirrels, rabbits, crows, etc.

But when I throw turkeys into the mix, due to the smaller size vitals of a turkey head skull & neck vertebrae, I use #6s to get more pellets in the pattern.

roundball said:
Skagan said:
In a muzzleloader, I've come to settle on #5s as my general purpose shot size for upland small game I have around here such as squirrels, rabbits, crows, etc.

But when I throw turkeys into the mix, due to the smaller size vitals of a turkey head skull & neck vertebrae, I use #6s to get more pellets in the pattern.
Thanks RB:
I'm mostly interested in rabbits, squirrels, etc:
but theres a fair about of woodcock and partridges about that been screamin "take me, bill tyler, take me!"

I mostly shoot prb. I've only tinkered with shot loads. which is kind of crime considering that I have a beautiful Bess that's waiting for a chance at some small game.

Another vote for #5. It seems to work better in my m/ls than #6 for grouse, rabbits and squirrel. I just add an extra 1/8 oz "pinch" to make up for the reduced pellet count.

I just picked up 25# of #4 to play with where grouse may not be a concern.

Skagan said:
Thanks RB: I'm mostly interested in rabbits, squirrels, etc: but theres a fair about of woodcock and partridges about that been screamin "take me, bill tyler, take me!"
Of the rare times I ever had woodcock and ruffed grouse come up in front of me with a modern shotgun where I used to live, it was always right at my feet.
If that's your case, I'd sure pattern test some hard 7.5's for grouse (at least bump up from 5's to 6's) and for woodcock flushing at your feet maybe even hard 8's in a cylinder bore.

For me, playing around and learning how to manipulate loads in smoothbores has become much more interesting and satisfying than just sighting in a rifle and being done with it...so enjoy.

roundball said:
Skagan said:
Thanks RB: I'm mostly interested in rabbits, squirrels, etc: but theres a fair about of woodcock and partridges about that been screamin "take me, bill tyler, take me!"
Of the rare times I ever had woodcock and ruffed grouse come up in front of me with a modern shotgun where I used to live, it was always right at my feet.
If that's your case, I'd sure pattern test some hard 7.5's for grouse (at least bump up from 5's to 6's) and for woodcock flushing at your feet maybe even hard 8's in a cylinder bore.

For me, playing around and learning how to manipulate loads in smoothbores has become much more interesting and satisfying than just sighting in a rifle and being done with it...so enjoy.

what do you mean by "hard 7.5s. . . 8s"?
what's a typical shot/powder ratio for you?

Lead shot usually came in 3 forms:

100 pure soft lead, and nobody uses that as its too soft, too much pellet deformation, negatively affects patterns, etc;

Chilled lead shot which has a couple % of Antimony mixed in to harden it up some, less pellet deformation, improved patterns, etc;

Hard or Magnum shot which has about 5-6% Antimony mixed in to really harden it up even more for least deformation and best patterns...usually referred to as 'hard shot'.

Skagan said:
roundball said:
Skagan said:

what do you mean by "hard 7.5s. . . 8s"?
what's a typical shot/powder ratio for you?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ducks 4's non toxic
geese 2's non-toxic
turkeys 5's lead hard....6's non toxic
all other small game 5's hard lead-

I've used #5 for rabbits around the sticker bushes. Normally I use #6 at the edge of a field. My Granddad and Father shot some quail while rabbit hunting but I've only shot one with #6 shot.

I have a petersoli double rabbit ears. Have shot everthing with it. Fine shooter with all shot. I only like chilled shot. Didnt think it would do good on birds, but found out not a problem. Does great on predators to.

RJ

For quail I use 7 1/2 or 8's.
For everything up to sage grouse I use 6 shot.
Early season Sage grouse are ok with 6's after the season has been on a while for Sage hens and Sharptails to might go to #5's if they are getting up WAY put there.

6 Shot is by far my favorite shot. Lead 6's will take any bird or rabbit on this continent. I have even killed coyotes with 6 shot. Ron

Idaho Ron said:
Early season Sage grouse are ok with 6's after the season has been on a while for Sage hens and Sharptails to might go to #5's if they are getting up WAY put there.

6 Shot is by far my favorite shot. Lead 6's will take any bird or rabbit on this continent. I have even killed coyotes with 6 shot. Ron

does that go for Snowshoe hares as well?

Skagan said:
Idaho Ron said:

does that go for Snowshoe hares as well?

I'll let Ron speak for his own snowshoes, but #6 does quite well on killing them up here. My problem with #6 though, is that fewer and fewer of them penetrate completely as you get past 20 yards, leaving them behind to remove or chew on. I get complete penetration with virtually 100% of #5's to 30 yards. Strictly a matter of cleanup, rather than any doubt that the #6's will kill cleanly.

Ron?

For snowshoes in Pa. 4 or 5 shot seems to work best.Born and raised in the mountains of Pa. Moved to Florida 5 yrs ago. Couldnt take the cold anymore. Sure loved the snowshoe hunting. They are quite fast and it seems you needed heavy shot to bring them down.

RJ

#6 will kill even larger game if you get close enough.

HPIM0358.jpg

The B side of this fallow deer has a hole big enough to put both fists in. It was a feral, invasive visitor on my property from a local farm that had a "fence malfunction" when he found it was illegal to import them without a license. I was grouse hunting when we met with #6 in a 20 gauge.

HEY SK:
was that your post a while back that showed pics of a shot card tin?

what'd ya do with the cArcas when the dust settled?

Yep. That's my wad tin.

Flint
HPIM2711.jpg

Percussion
HPIM0789.jpg

The fallow deer was cut & et - after the DEC confiscated it for a few days for testing (rabies, CWD, tuberculosis(!) and a few others). I called it in as soon as I got home. I did get to keep the meat and rack but they kept the majority of the skull. The original farm - 10 miles away - was contacted but they signed off any claim to the carcass. 12 escaped and only two have beed reported killed - the other by a bowhunter.

Note that in NY animals moved from farm-to-farm are required to have ear tags. I was close enough to spot the tag or even the empty hole and did look. (I have raised meat goats and currently raise sheep). I have zero tolerance for introduced species.

Did not care for the taste of the meat - it all had a liver flavor. I like liver - but not when I'm expecting venison steak.

Really like your shot tin. Good idea. Need to come up with something for my double. Thanks for the pics.

RJ

Richard J. said:
Really like your shot tin. Good idea. Need to come up with something for my double. Thanks for the pics.

RJ

No pics right now, but I've come up with an arrangement that I really like with my double. I sewed an shallow pocket (actually split in two) along the front panel of my shotgun bag, right at the top. I put base wads in on one side and overpowder cards on the other. The pockets are open, but covered by the bag flap.

It's turned out to be really handy for shotgun loading. No fumbling around looking for wads and cards. Pics "someday" when I get around to it.

Back