• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mountain hunting at red deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany,

since april 08 I'm hunting in a mountian area with roedeer and reddeer (elk). The area is about 400 acres big, goes from 800m up to 1400m, 2/3 forest. I have no problems in harvesting roes, but many probs getting one of these reddeers. I have tracked them, I found several trails where I have sat already, but nothing seen.

So please help! :confused:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Ok . Bear in mind that I don't have much red deer experience with the exception of shooting one hind a few years ago on a preserve.

When is the mating season for red deer? I suspect that would be the time that they are most vulnerable. Maybe if during that time you can make a challenging roar call to get a bull to come within range. Other than that I'd look for some spot to stand where there is food.

Just my two cents of opinion.

If they are like Elk, they are herd animals. This means that they may not be evenly distributed throughout the area, you are either in them or you are not. When you find one, you will find the whole herd. This may vary during the summer when cows and calves will be in one group and bulls in another.
Try locating where they feed and where they bed. Set up between the two areas or right in their bedding area and let them come to you. You have to get in front of them as trying to catch up with a long legged mountain animal is almost always futile.
I agree with the calling suggestion in season for the bulls. We "cow call" in all seasons here, as North American Elk are very vocal all year but the "bugle" or "Roar" is seasonal.
Good Luck,
Idaho PRB

Thanks for the first replies. But copulation time is over. So I have to look at the second alternative. Sitting at theit trails outside the wind.

Regards

Kirrmeister

The stags are probably still resting from the rutt but I doubt it.
My experiance of mounting red in Scotland are that they are very good at hiding in timber and you will have your work cut out to actually find them before they spot you first.
I had most luck catching them out in a meadow around mid day when they were snacking. Early morning was no good, they were back in the timber before light. Midday and afternoon for me.
You could try senting the low ground one day and then the next come in from the top!
Any hill side timber and they allways seem to be out or near the top for me.
They are a clever deer with perfect eyes, you have your work cut out and good luck :hatsoff:

Britsmoothy.

Was outside this evening for testing because moon was shinning bride. About 5 minutes after I was in my ground blind 2 peaces were coming from the right side. I could hear them walking over dry leaves. Then they stopped and screamed, seemed to stand still for a while and then went back where they came from. After 10 minutes another deer was moving from the same direction, but this time I think it was a roedeer. That was between 05:45 p.m. and 06:10 p.m. Think I'll need some snow for better view.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back