• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mountain Man Gear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mossback

Big Bores Matter
Reaction score
1000014125.jpg

Gear slowly coming together. I've made one possibles bag for my synthetic CVA Bobcat .50cal but I bought this one and added the horn button and brass clip on the side for the tools. My big ass bowie is sharp enough that I've shaved with it. And of course my powder horn. I have a belt and two ball bags on order in which one will be for the .54cal balls and the other one is for shot. All this, as I stated, is slowly coming together to go with my TC 28" Hawken .54cal and .56cal smoothie.

View attachment 342021
Gear slowly coming together. I've made one possibles bag for my synthetic CVA Bobcat .50cal but I bought this one and added the horn button and brass clip on the side for the tools. My big ass bowie is sharp enough that I've shaved with it. And of course my powder horn. I have a belt and two ball bags on order in which one will be for the .54cal balls and the other one is for shot. All this, as I stated, is slowly coming together to go with my TC 28" Hawken .54cal and .56cal smoothie.
1000014127.jpg

How do you like the peep sight? I have one for my Lyman trade rifle but took it off for now, it has a target aperture and I'm going to wait till I get a aperture with a larger hole. By the way, nice outfits 👍
Love it! I matched the #57SML with the 17A, got a different aperture, and got better sight inserts from Lee Shaver.
How do you like the peep sight? I have one for my Lyman trade rifle but took it off for now, it has a target aperture and I'm going to wait till I get a aperture with a larger hole. By the way, nice outfits 👍

View attachment 342021
In case you want a wood stock for that Bobcat, here's what I did: bought a pawn shop CVA Plainsman for $80.00 out the door. Sold the scope somebody put on it for $85.00 on eBay, and the bobcat barrel and hardware fits right into the Plainsman stock. My Bobcat was purchased somewhere around 1997 so I don't know if they ever moved the wedge location or anything. Plainsman stocks can be had on eBay with no hardware pretty reasonable sometimes. I'm gonna strip my wood stock and try my hand at fake striping it.

View attachment 342021
Now get it all dirty 😁

In case you want a wood stock for that Bobcat, here's what I did: bought a pawn shop CVA Plainsman for $80.00 out the door. Sold the scope somebody put on it for $85.00 on eBay, and the bobcat barrel and hardware fits right into the Plainsman stock. My Bobcat was purchased somewhere around 1997 so I don't know if they ever moved the wedge location or anything. Plainsman stocks can be had on eBay with no hardware pretty reasonable sometimes. I'm gonna strip my wood stock and try my hand at fake striping it.
That is good to know, thanks. I have never thought about it till now.

Very nice handiwork. Causes me to think back to 1981 when I bought my Sile Hawken, my 2d black powder gun and 1st black powder rifle. I didn't make anything but bought an inexpensive possibles bag from Uncle Mike's and a cheap horn at I believe the same sporting goods store I bought the rifle. I've always had an affection for bags and horns.

Very nice handiwork. Causes me to think back to 1981 when I bought my Sile Hawken, my 2d black powder gun and 1st black powder rifle. I didn't make anything but bought an inexpensive possibles bag from Uncle Mike's and a cheap horn at I believe the same sporting goods store I bought the rifle. I've always had an affection for bags and horns.
That's what it's about. You get what you can, add to it when you can, and eventually you will look like the image in your mind of our forefathers who trekked across our great land in search of that next pelt. 👏👏👏

The rifles are nice but the accoutrements are the art. It's always great to me to see the different examples of kit when BP folks are gathered. Bags, horns, hawks, knife/sheaths, everything. They're all unique.

Are you still using that bag and horn all these years later? Don't get me wrong, the rifles are also art, but even for guys like me who choose not to buy super nice or expensive customs, I'll still make or buy the other items to be distinctly different from everybody else's. Even po boys like me can have cool kit...

I still have the bag and horn. About 35 years ago I lost the stopper out of that first horn. When I had a chance to get home, I went over to where my grandparents had lived in the early 60's and where I used to spend so much time in the woods, found an old stick lying on the ground in the woods, broke off a small piece and whittled it to fit the spout, stained it and it is still the stopper for that horn. I have progressed to a couple more bags and horns and straps over the years, but I have been known on occasion to carry that first bag and horn on hunts, though with flintlocks now.

Back