• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mounting a sling stud

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.Y. Yankee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
If you were going to drill a pilot hole for a screw-in sling stud in the stock of a TC Hawken, how far from the toe would you place it?

Hi,
Don't go too close to the toe. Here is an example:
xES8ufA.jpg

If the shaft and threads on your stud are strongly tapered, as some are, be very careful because they can act as a wedge and crack the stock at the hole. Drill to the full depth of the stud with a drill sized for the tip portion of the screw and then drill about halfway with a larger drill sized for the wider portion of the screw. If the stud has a short unthreaded collar at the top of the threads, drill down a short way into the top of the hole with a bit sized to clear the collar. That will prevent the stud from cracking the stock. Some studs may just be like normal wood screws and just need a proper sized hole but the sharply tapered ones need the special attention I mentioned.

dave

I have an old T/C stock here with the sling stud 2 3/8" from the back of the buttplate to the back of the stud. Stock is old and looks like it saw heavy use but no cracks or splits by the stud. Hope this is of some help.

ThreeCrows

In lieu of drilling into the stock for a sling screw, I made a steel 3/32" thick toeplate and riveted a sling stud to it and then used 1 screw on both sides of the sling stud to attach the toeplate.....Fred

In lieu of drilling into the stock for a sling screw, I made a steel 3/32" thick toeplate and riveted a sling stud to it and then used 1 screw on both sides of the sling stud to attach the toeplate.....Fred
So instead of making 1 hole for a sling stud you made 2 screw holes..
I don't think I see the logic in that.

There are several drill bit "kits" made specifically for installing swivel studs, I highly recommend you use them. About 2 1/2" from the toe is where most are placed , but a little more depending on the butt shape doesn't hurt a thing. I use a jig made to position the hole centered on the bottom of the stock. Without it you will have difficulty & your stud could end up off center and/or canted. Good luck!

So instead of making 1 hole for a sling stud you made 2 screw holes..
I don't think I see the logic in that.
To begin w/, the force from the sllng is now pulling against 2 screws. Is that an improvement?...I think so....along w/ the addition of a toeplare.....Fred

FWIW, I'd never drill a traditional frontstuffer stock for QD sling eyes - I use a "no-gunsmithing" slip-on carry strap that leaves the gun in original condition.

This one's from DGW

AL0100.jpg

Back