• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mr Suspicious

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
:hmm: call me Mr Suspicious but I think there's something wrong with that spring.

Didn't mention that in the auction :shocking: :crackup:

webley.jpg

Oooohhh... The rare silenced spring..... Is that bailing wire??

I hope that the guy did not intentionally screw you on that sale...

I didn't actually mean to buy it ::

I saw it in an online auction, idly bid GBP 400 and was amazed to find I'd hit the reseve. Nobody else bid on it until 5 seconds before the auction ended when some zero feedback newbie topped me at 425. I meant to let him have it but I couldn't resist giving him a fright because I didn't reckon he knew there was an auction extender, an extra 2 minutes on a last second bid. I bid 450 and got the blooming thing.

I think it's a Webley 38. Has some old caps, "Made in Prussia", a nipple spanner that actually fits and Birmingham proofs. The case isn't very well made but looks old enough. It's been dry fired but the hammer suffered rather than the nipples. Some surviving blue, no dings in the checkered grips, the bore is a bit rusty but the rifling is deep, has to be worth 450 :thumbsup:

webley2.jpg

There's the small matter of the spring, it doesn't actually fire caps in it's present condition ::

Robin, I see no hammer spur worth boasting about, could this be a double action?

I agree with Musketman it looks like double action from the location of the trigger. The pistol itself has a lot of things that look like the English Trantor expecially the rammer, and the hammer? Just my opinion though. Looks interesting and the price does'nt seem to steep. Hope you can find all the parts you need to get her back to working shape. Fox :thumbsup:

I'm not saying I'd have bought it but I think It's pretty cool. Do you know any more about it?

Robin, I see no hammer spur worth boasting about, could this be a double action?

Is that the one where you don't cock, you just pull the trigger? If so, Yes ::

The trigger spring was also broken and replaced with Heaven only knows what. It was blocking the hammer on it's way down

webley3.jpg

With the springs out, trigger back, hammer down you can see the sear. Love the hand spring, it's over an inch and a half long ::

The screw holding the mainspring is seized solid, but the busted springs may have saved the action which seems totally smooth and reliable.

For anyone who doesn't already know, the English action is different to the American for the cylinder alignment. There's no detente latching into a notch, instead a blocking arm on the trigger gets in the way of the cylinder rotation and the hand pushes the cylinder up against it. Simple as that.

I wonder if it uses the same main spring as the the 1853 Welbey Longspur?

Looks vaguely similar, are spares available?

I got the stuck screw with the buggered head out. Just needed a bigger screwdriver :thumbsup:

webley4.jpg

Nice gun but I think that spring is in violation of the 1968 NFA laws. :nono:
:crackup:

TheGunCellar

Looks like it's in really good shape except for the springs - and it found a good home.

Nice find, Squire--what's the finger-like thingie on the left sideplate? It doesn't appear to connect to anything in the works inside the plate.

Surely you can get a custom-made mainspring. I'll bet it'll be fun to shoot.

The finger thing is the safety catch. Push it in with the hammer slightly back and a pin on the end of it blocks the hammer from falling that last little bit.

It's sprung out so when you pull the trigger and the hammer moves back, it pops out and you're ready to shoot.

The Tranter had a better design - the safety was sprung inward so it wasn't trying to pop out. Pulling the trigger lifted the safety out of the way as the hammer was cocked.

Back