• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mule Deer story

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Riley

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Story, no pictures, sorry. :(

I was hunting mule deer west of Horsetooth Reservoir, west of Fort Collins, Colorado, some time in the early 1980s. I saw a small 4 X 4 buck on the side of a hill, about level with me, across a small draw, about 35 yards away. He just stared at me, broadside, as mulies are want to do, so I drew a bead and fired (.54 Lyman Great Plains Rifle, 110 grns, round ball).

There was some smoke but I could still clearly see him and I swear he did not bugger, flinch, bunch his muscles, bat an ear or blink an eye, no hair flew and not a drop of blood that I could see. He just stood there like a statue. I knew there was no way I could have missed him so I figured I forgot to run a ball down the barrel. :doh:

Dang! Well, he just stood there and I figured I’d have to reload anyway if I was to keep hunting some other deer, because he was going to run, right? So I tried to be nonchalant while I reloaded but I was staring at him as I went through the motions and guess what? I forgot the powder! :doh: So when I fired at him again, all I got was a little pop and not enough to roll the ball out of the barrel.

So, I unscrewed the nipple and started feeding a little power down behind the ball, put the nipple back on, added a cap and fired, just rolling the ball out. The buck just stood there staring at me the whole time. I started to think he might be one of those Fish and Game decoys set up to trap hunters, but I was far from any roads and I was all legal, so I couldn’t figure why they’d have a decoy out there. :confused:

I reloaded AGAIN! Only this time I did it right. I raised my rifle, took a bead on him and *just before* I fired, he fell over, stone dead! I walked over to him and found my first shot had been true, in and out, clean through, just behind the heart about a quarter inch.

Go figure. :hmm:

Wow, that's a cool story. No telling what some of these critters will do when shot.

Too bad we didn't have a video of you going through all those shenanigans. :rotf:

silly goose said:
Too bad we didn't have a video of you going through all those shenanigans. :rotf:
With a cartoon of me doing the 'slower than molasses in winter' shift from slung on the wrong shoulder to the 'your other left side'! :haha: The whole time the little varmint just stood there watching me till I just got the muzzle raising then it's just like a roadrunner movie..."Beep, Beep...Zippity-zoom!!? And he's off!"

Back