• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket loading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Captndan, A properly wrapped paper cartridge will paper around the ball. The excess paper that held the powder is used as a wad between the powder and the still wrapped ball. At least that's the way I load my cartridges. Note: Since I am not in a line of battle, I do not prime from the cartridge. I have a separate priming flask or use powder from a blank cartridge as I prepare to fire.

Just stuff it down the barrel with the ball on top and ram it home.

Note: if this proves to be too tight, you can 1) use a smaller ball; 2) use lighter-weight paper; 3) modify your template for fewer wraps; 4) use lighter string to tie off.

It really depends on what kind of musket you are talking about, this is the percussion rifle section so you may mean Civil War era rifle muskets? If that is the case then no, the paper was discarded and the minie ball was loaded bare.

It really depends on what kind of musket you are talking about, this is the percussion rifle section so you may mean Civil War era rifle muskets? If that is the case then no, the paper was discarded and the minie ball was loaded bare.
Good catch. Yes, makes a diff whether it's a smoothbore musket or a rifle musket shooting a grooved & lubed conical bullet. Then just dump the powder charge down the bore, discard the paper, push the Minie ball down into the bore, and ram it home, and you're good to shoot. Minie balls need no wadding.

Back