• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket Nipple Replacement Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie1105

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy All,

I have a .58 DGW Murray Carbine that uses musket caps. I love the gun and would shoot it more, but I have a very limited supply of 4-wing musket caps. I have plenty of No. 11 caps though. Has anyone had good experience replacing the musket cap nipple with one that would fit No. 11 caps? It looks like TOTW has a wide selection of nipples and I could get one that has the same thread pitch as the original. Would it provide reliable ignition? Would the existing hammer work as well on a No11 and it does on a musket cap? Any safety concerns?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

I would expect it to work well. The large musket caps are easy to handle and can be placed on the nipple correctly with out looking. This, I believe is why the military used them.

When I obtained my first original civil war musket, in the early 80’s I could not buy musket caps locally. We just didn’t have them in the PNW in any of our gun shops.
We had lots of #11’s, so I got a conversation nipple from DGW. It worked fine. Since the internet and the ability to purchase musket caps on line, I have switched back to musket caps. Now I have the ability to shoot the rifle either way.
Old Shepherd

I switched it the other way for a while, I had a TC Hawken that I could not get to fire reliably no matter what #11 cap I used. I converted to a musket nipple and caps and BOOM every time. The supposed cause I found out later in my case was from using Pyrodex, old Pyrodex at that. I evolved in my thought process and went to black powder and the issue went away. After a few years I went back to the #11 nipple and there have been no issues, that was over two decades ago now...

When I obtained my first original civil war musket, in the early 80’s I could not buy musket caps locally. We just didn’t have them in the PNW in any of our gun shops.
We had lots of #11’s, so I got a conversation nipple from DGW. It worked fine. Since the internet and the ability to purchase musket caps on line, I have switched back to musket caps. Now I have the ability to shoot the rifle either way.
Old Shepherd
Thanks! I've had a hard time trying to locate musket caps online. I've seen CCI musket caps online that say "for reenactment use" but the ones that say "for multiple use". I've stayed away from the reenactment use ones because I figured they wouldnt be hot enough or reliable. Is there a difference in the two types? The multiple use ones have eluded me thus far.

Thanks

Back