• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

musket nipples for cva rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangfiretx

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone (including CVA) manufacture a musket nipple that will fit standard cva caplock rifles, the ones that use a 6x1mm nipple? I'd like to take advantage of the hotter, more reliable ignition of a musket nipple.

I prefer using black powder, but sometimes I resort to pyrodex, and I've noticed a hesitation between the cap firing and the ignition of the powder charge, even when I try to use good muzzleloading practices of firing some caps off first, running dry patches down the barrel, etc. I know that T/C offers such for their caplocks, but I'm not aware that CVA has any available.

::

I boughta couple for the traditions guns from ohio state muzzleloading, they also fit on a cva derringer , put it on the derringer and it fired the charge off 100% the time, and use the musket cap on my traditions 12 ga. single shot shot gun and of couse it is also on my t/c some folks don't like the musket cap, but kie you I want mine to got off in staed of just fizz at the moment of truth, and put meat in the freezer. bb75

See discussion in this forum: Post146268 "Musket Cap vs #11" I saw that Cabelas had musket caps for CVA rifles, but the concensus on this formum was it wasn't necessary, and could bring problems (hammer not striking square on larger nipple), and expense. I got rid of my stock #11 nipples and bought stainless steel #11 "hot shot nipples", used my pick more, and have lived happily ever after! :D

I bought one, and a tin of musket caps at the local Wal-Mart, the year I got my CVA Bobcat for Christmas. The rifle cost my son $60 and I spent $100 on possibles. I was thinkin' I might be able to shoot pellets along with the shorter, copper clad, plastic tiped, plastic gas checked bullets. :redface: I even tried it once! It didn't work, then I found the Muzzleloading Forum. I think all that stuff is in my gun safe somewhere's along with the 12 gauge 3" 1 7/8 oz turkey loads I shot one of. :shake: I think I'll have a garage sale. :peace:

As you've gathered by now, yes, several places sell nipples which will fire musket caps on a gun designed for #11s, but a lot of folks have had problems with them.

The biggest problem is on guns which have a hollowed out nose on the hammer. If there is any mis-alignment of the hammer with the nipple, the hammer often will not hit the primer squarely and fire it.
Then there is the added height of the musket nipple. This in itself can cause a mis-alignment with the nose of the hammer.

Another problem is some of the gun stores do not carry Musket caps.

It is the general feeling around here that if you really want a hotter cap, try the RWS caps. I've found the CCI Magnum #11s work about the best of all for guns with the standard nipple on them.

Back