• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle Loader Books

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be good if you could fine tune the question a little, for example...a beginner to muzzleloading in general, or to flintlocks, or to...etc

Also, at the top of this forum, there is a section which has a list of links and good reading articles covering a variety of topics...may be some books referenced in that listing

A new commer to the sport of blackpowder shooting with particular interest in percussion rifles and pistols.

I am looking at the links now
Thanks

PS:
The Possible Shop is at the very top, but then the 4th category down from the top named "Muzzleloading Links" has all the subcategories of articles and books recommended by members of the forum, etc

"The Complete Blackpowder Handbook", 4th edition, by Sam Fadala, ISBN 0-87349-294-3, $24.95 U.S. The best introductory guide for beginners. Very comprehensive, it will teach you everything you need to know to get started shooting and hunting with every type of muzzleloader. Also explains the basics of casting, general history of muzzleloaders, contains a list of other books & periodicals to read, etc. Good book to get you started.

Murray,
i have 2 i would reccomend both by Sam Fadala
(1) Blackpowder Loading Manual(expanded 4th edition)
(2) Blackpowder Hobby Gunsmithing
both are in the 15 to 20$ range(much cheaper at some places)
Sam Fadala has another on hunting with Muzzleloading
but i have loaned it to somebody and don't know the exact
title. Hope this helps you out, but to be honest with you these books really don't have anymore information than you can find right here if you take the time and look for it :imo:
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

Another vote for "The Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle" by Ned Roberts. It's long out of print but it's not uncommon. Usually there are several copies listed at alibris.com .

murray: Lots of good tips here so far, but permit me to add a thought.
Black Powder Muzzleloading has been going on for a few hundred years, and a new interest in it developed in the 1960s when a number of companys started importing large quanities of BP guns. (IMO it was a reaction to the 1968 GCA which stopped mail order buying of modern guns but still permitted mail order Black Powder reproductions).

Anyway, if your in a Used Book Store and you see old books written about Muzzleloading and Black Powder Shooting, buy them. They are still as usable now as they were when they were written. :)

Walter Cline's "Muzzle Loading, Then and Now" is another classic that should be on everyone's shelf.

Walter Cline's "Muzzle Loading, Then and Now" is another classic that should be on everyone's shelf.

I couldn't agree more, the pictures alone are worth the price.

FYI...I have the last 40+ copies of muzzleblasts magazines, cheap, send PM if interested

Thanks for the response!
"The Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle" Seems tough to find, which is a pity because every review i have found on it raves about what a super read it is. I am on the look out for that one.

I have ordered "The Complete Blackpowder Handbook" which looks very comprehensive...exactly what I need.

The Lyman book I am also looking at as well as the others mentioned.
Thanks again for your amazing response!
Regards
Murray

Thanks for the response!
"The Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle" Seems tough to find, which is a pity because every review i have found on it raves about what a super read it is. I am on the look out for that one.

Murray:
[url] Amazon.com[/url] has 5 left...

Here's their link...

Amazon Books

Last edited by a moderator:
Murry , WolF publishing (Handloader/Rifle magazine) re-published the book about eight years ago also the NRA library has it. :relax:

Great thanks, I am ordering it from[url] amazon.com[/url]
There are two options open to me both options are used books which is fine, but the one book goes for $49.97 and the other $39.99. Obviously the cheaper one is more attractive, but esentially are they the same book?

Thanks for the response!

Murray:[url] Amazon.com[/url] has 5 left...
Here's their link...
Amazon Books

Musketman....Out of curosity I clicked on your link to see what these books are going for nowadays...I guess I got ripped when I bought mine...Anyway, the heading said, "All 5 Editions"....what does that mean?
I though there was only one book, albeit "reprinted" several times...up until about 1952.

Could you put the splain on me about this?

Also, someone else mentioned a reprint recently. What gives here? I have seen this book at gun shows, with the red velvelty looking cover, for over $500.00.
Mine is plain Jane and I paid over $75.00 ten years ago. I have seen them on eBay with a $200 reserve........

I guess what I'm asking is...are there different versions? I know the Red Velvet cover comes authenticated and signed by Ned Roberts, and was limited to "X" number copies.
These other prices has got me wondering??? :hmm:

Any help? :huh:

Where's that Stumpy feller when you need him?? He addressed something similar to this not long ago.... :curse:

Russ

Back