• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle loader shoots from mid 1950's Iowa

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviejake

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm just getting back into muzzle loading and my aunt sent me some papers with the results of some shoots from Iowa State Championship Muzzle loading matches and other local matches held around Prairie City in the mid 50s. Lot's of names including my dad, grandpa, uncle and a gun builder from Emmetsburg, Iowa. I know it was a long time ago but I was just wondering if anyone here was at those and knew my grandpa Rouze Spaur. I have the 50cal he built in 1954 now and I'm getting the bug.
Thanks, Steve

I am from Emmetsburg Iowa. I would guess the gun builder from Emmetsburg is Andy Adams. Might also be a Floyd Farlow. Both are gone now, but have shot with them years ago. flinch

yes, it was Andy Adams. I was in his shop years ago with my dad. My grandpa was Rouze Spaur who died in 1959. My dad is Basil Jacobson and my uncle is Cyril Armstrong. Don't know if you shot with any of them but if you did I'd like to hear about it. All from Emmetsburg. Thanks, Steve

just noticed your age Flinch. You're probably too young to know my relatives as they all moved away from Emmetsburg. We were wondering what happened to Andy's shop. I'm guessing I was in it in the early 70's.

His shop and house were torn down. I shot a little with Andy probably in the mid 80s? He was pretty old then and his eyes were failing. flinch

I'd suggest you contact the Bevel Brothers, Lowell or Joel Gard, in Iowa. They either know everybody or know who knows everybody. I'd bet they could put you in touch with an old buddy of your grandpa, who would be thrilled to talk about old friends and old days. Be ready to take notes, and to re-meet your grandpa.

Back