• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle protectors/guides

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to Walmart and bought a set of four plastic funnels in the houseware section for about a dollar. I cut the spout off the one that fit the ramrod and use the spout for a muzzle protecter.

Back when I was a workin' man, I had access to the plumber's throw-away stuff. There were some short, funnel shaped nylon thingies, I think they were part of a flush valve assembly. Anyway, they made the nicest bore guides for 1/4" rods and they were FREE!

bpwrl said:
Does anyone know where to get a delrin muzzle protector for a cleaning rod?
Thanks in anvance.
BPWRL
Muzzleloader Builder's supply...compared to Brownell's price of $6.50, MBLs are very inexpensive at a buck and a half or something.
I got a couple dozen of theirs several years ago and have them on all my range rods, in hunting pouches, etc...not sure if they're "delrin" or just white nylon, but they're tough as nails and last forever...plus they weigh nothing and are quiet which is why I especially like them for hunting...my underbarrel rods are solid brass and all the cleaning/seating jags in different caliber pouches have nylon muzzle guides already slid onto them.

BTW, I like the fact that the muzzle protectors made of delrin, or brass, act to center the ramrod, or range rod in the bore, keeping the rod off the lands of the barrel when I am cleaning or loading. There is much less a chance to get a patch loaded crooked behind a ball with this arrangement than using just a hickory rod.

And that is the purpose of the bore protectors, to keep the rod from rubbing against the bore . Emery

Hi another option for modern cleaning muzzle guides,rods,etc is www.deweyrods.com .They now make a muzzle loader line of accesories.I have the Dewey "Large Bore Rod" and use it for cleaning;its great. Just be careful when ordering because Dewey makes male and female ended rods.I do most of my ordering from Brownells if i can.Rgards,Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
And still another option- the filler tube from a tubeless tire- pick them up at a tire shop-rubber outside so they don't hurt your barrel.

Back