• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader Only Hunts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The money is the least of my worries. How many points does it take to draw a tag? Hate to bother yuou with many questions. I have never had to deal with points before..

We have traditional ML hunts here, traditional clothing, traditional loads, roundball, real black powder only, even down to traditional foot gear. Nice big couple thousand acres to wonder around on. Some of the thickest nastiest pucker brush anyone could imagine and the weak at heart and weak minded neat not apply.

Tell me more Micanopy! Do it youself hunts? High fences?? I really do not want to shoot behind fences, looking for fair chase.

Custom Smokepole said:
The money is the least of my worries. How many points does it take to draw a tag? Hate to bother yuou with many questions. I have never had to deal with points before..

Morning buddy,
It takes around two or three preference points out of state to draw a bull tag maby one for a cow.
I called this bull in for my client on Sat.

DSCF5188.jpg

It is fenced, but fences never come into play except to keep theiven tresspassers out and really high dollar animals in, the fences dont make any animal any tamer or less wild, it just keeps them from being stolen for the world is not full of honest people. This ranch is so thick and tangled that its real easy to get turned around and a bit confused on exactly where yer standing at the moment and reading the sun sure helps one keep their bearings about them.

Many years ago the Comanche, Kiowa, Lipan Apachee used to run the buffalo off the cliffs and when the first settlers came in it was littered with buffalo bones and it was called the "Bone Yard Gap". Down in the gaps if one was to break a leg itd be playin heck to get out before night fall. The wild hogs would make quick work outa a person.

As I said, the fences never come into play. Most fenced places are of big enough size that if one hunts as we do, using traditional arms and gear, placing personal limits on how your hunting, and actually hunting instead of trying to get it over with as quickly as one can, keeps it a great way of hunting. Most of the time we stand hunt, but some times we can do some still hunting but movement is limited to some certain areas because the ash juniper is so thick above waist level that you cant move, or see more than a few feet.

Some operations have given the fenced areas a bad reputation because of the way they do things, kinda like instant everything in the modern world of "I gotta have it now". But we dont do it like that.

As for "Fair Chase" its simply a matter of being a good enough stalker to get with in shooting distance of 99% of the game, or sitting quietly enough to have them come in to shooting distance.
The wild hogs, javalina, whitetail, aoudad sheep, catalina island goats, bull elk, sika, fallow, and axis are wilder than any game located almost anywhere. The Buffalo on the other hand are much like dairy cattle and have the run of the place. which by the way has only a parameter fence, no cross fences at all, no pens, and the buffalo are more window dressing and breeding project than anything else.

Back