• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader rifle turkeys?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot gun or bow and arrow here in Mich.. Had two DNR officers tell me they didn't know there were flint lock shotguns. They still can't seem to tell me if my 1860 colt is legal under muzzleloading hunting rules.

Hanshi, how much damage to the meat does a rb do to a turkey? I assume your using one of your 32 or 36 caliber for such a hunt? Greg. :)

Not Legal in Wisconsin and from what I have seen of damage to squirrels with a 36 not sure it would be a good idea anyway. I like a Remington 10 ga with #6 shot for turkeys.

Critter Getter said:
Hanshi, how much damage to the meat does a rb do to a turkey? I assume your using one of your 32 or 36 caliber for such a hunt? Greg. :)

You don't lose as much "turkey" as you would if you missed him.

That's a good answer :bow: I shoot them at the point of the wing bone, not much meat on back anyway. I use a 36 cal, but anything would work.

To me it seems the law is to keep the idiots from killing each other. Seems the smoothbore shoot each other every year by the WRONG tactics and (Tom Fever?).

Why no rifles ??? deer get hunted with them all the time.

F&G laws at times make ZERO sense.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but in Virginia we have a good turkey population. This allows for fall turkey hunting, including hens. We walk game trails and fire trails, and search for scratching, especially in areas of white oaks and other trees with nuts. It's difficult to get within shotgun range, under these circumstances. Now spring time hunting is a different ball game. Only gobblers are allowed and you would be setting and calling. Although tradition calls for a shotgun, a rifle is allowed in areas where you are allowed to use rifles. This would be the more mountainous parts of the state.

Hunter safety course is a requirement, in Va. but real safety is placed squarely upon the shoulders of hunters. I would never use decoys on public land, and am very cautious as to where they are placed on private land. The advantage of a muzzle loading rifle, is, you can set up in a more open environment, and be farther away from decoys, due to the extra range, and enjoy a more traditional method of hunting.

I have taken many turkeys many years ago with my .50 in VA. I once got one at 125 yards.

I really wish it was legal in Iowa to hunt turkey's with a 36 cal rifle. I can understand safety issues tho and guess that is why we don't allow it here. Greg

Back