• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading and Archery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just seem to go hand in hand. Tell us about your favorite bow...

Here is my 68" Howard Hill Wesley Special longbow 50#@28"

HowardHilllongbow.jpg

Bighorn takedown with #60 and #65 limbs been shooting it nearly 10 yrs now. Had many before and many since but it's the one I always take hunting.

I don't do much archery anymore and passed my bows on to my son - a couple of old fiberglass recurves, a primitive yew bow that needs new tips and string, but the most used is an old Bear that was left behind when a tenant skipped on a few months rent. It's the Nooge bow- signed by Ted Nugent in 99, maybe it's worth a little of the back rent the bum skipped on.

vic

deer2R.jpg

dream.jpg

Martin Dream Catcher, 55# @ 28" (I draw 30-1/2") AMO 60", one-piece.

That's a Jack Bowers one-arrow Solo-Stalker broadhead sheath w/half a Selway Piggy-Backer laced on the lower limb to grip the arrow. Nice for stalking. The quiver is a Jack Bowers' "Wilderness" side-stalker.

I shoot a hand tillered linen backed West Coast Paddle Bow from[url] woodbows.com[/url]. Phil had mine done in about two weeks, all hand done, awesome bow--55 pounds at 29 inches.

Problem: I'm a lousy shot with a bow. About 9 times out of 10 I can hit the ground if i drop it... :crackup:

But i love shooting it! Good stout bow with a lot of power.

Stumblin

Last edited by a moderator:
Liver Eater! Great choice! I shoot a 68" Howard Hill Wesley Special too. Mine is 48# @ 26" (short arms ::). Cocobolo riser, with flat black glass. :thumbsup:

my favorite bow was a herters long bow ,60 lbs.@29"
i sure miss that bow ,it got stolen when i was in colledge :cry:
un fortunately i went modern a while back and shoot a mc pherson eliminator at 80# and holding 40# at full draw :redface:i plan to go back to traditional some day buy when i do it will be a commanche horse bow .
our texas brush makes it a little hard to get a long bow into action

I've built a few selfbows out of hickory.The one that I shoot is a Sudbury bow that draws about 65#.Whittling away at some hedge from my fencerow and hope to get a bow out of it one of these days.Always been a stick and string archer since I was a kid,still have the Bear Tigercat that I bought many years ago...

Brushbuster, how would you define or describe the Comanche Horse bow? Sounds interesting.

rayb

Custom English stlyle longbow made by Bill Darr of Whipperwill Archery. Made of American Mulberry with horn tips. Shoots 54# at 31 1/2"inches(long arms). Great bow, mulberry shoots alot like yew but at a price that I could afford at the time. Another fav is an old Colt Plainsman recurve that I got from a friend.

By the way guys, Phil Silva is doing an article on building a basic long bow in the upcoming Buckskinner.

In 1996, I had Leon Stewart build me a longbow that is wonderful to shoot. It is 64" long and hits 55# at 28" draw. Due to shoulder problems associated with old age, I've not hunted with it much. I did take it out a few times this year, but didn't have any shot opportunities. It was a pleasure just to be out during the pleasant days of archery season. Not quite what we can expect starting next Monday for flintlock season. Merry Christmas!

Muzzleloading and archery? Don't get me started :yakyak:

This one was taken with a snake backed osage bow 72#@26" and a knapped flint head. The yote was shot with a 75# flat bow.
flinthead%20buck.jpg
Coyote-with-a-bow.jpg

Here's a picture of the deer pole at Shrew Haven camp this year. Shrew bows rule up there.
2004%20deer%20camp.jpg

I have an old American Archery target bow. My grandfather and father shot field archery in the '60's and this is Pop's bow. I hunt with a PSE Impala. Okay starter bow, but I want a Martin. :winking:

there is a bowyer in center piont that makes what he calls a commanche horse bow it's roughly 30" long and has an aggressive recurve to allow for draw and speed it's a real neet looking bow and real quick but a real finger pincher.
the last one i saw was 6 years ago at a 3d shoot at camp bullis. he made another one called the kiowa which is a shortened version of the long bow with a slight recurve to it. i dont know if the guy is still around but if your interested i could try to find out for you

Merry Christmas to all!

If you want to visit a great site for primitive archery supplies go to www.rudderbows.com. I purchased some authentic longbows from them and they are reasonably priced, well researched, and the owners are honest folks.

Patriot

This is one of my favorite pictures. I took it as my partner was bringing up the canoe to pick up me and my buck. The bow is "Sidewinder" my old snake backed osage bow. The quiver is a buckskin lined bobcat.
Armstrong%20Creek%20Buck.jpg

Is this better?? :peace:

A primitive kill with a sinew backed osage horse bow, wood arrow and flint head. Winter moc's are heavily greased and lined with sheepskin. Shirt and pants made form Whitney blankets, otter hat (Like Charlton Hestons in The Mt.Men)
Bobcat quiver.
winterkill.jpg

Back