• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzleloading chukar hunt !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have killed more chukar in my lifetime than I care to count. I use them at times when training dogs, and gunned for AKC Hunt Tests and Field trials using them. All those were pen raised and I have "guided" pen raised "Hunts" which to me were no more than glorified training sessions for my dogs. Pen raised chukar are neither hard to hit nor hard to kill. I have seen danged few hug the ground when flushed in a "Hunt" or test, and mostly when I have seen them turn one way or the other was to get a tail wind. Pen raised chukar are a mere shadow of their wild brethren and to call it a "hunt" is well pretty lame. Although, I do admit pen raised chukar can be very good eating.

Wild chukar on the other hand - do all kinds of stuff. I have hunted them in three states along the rivers and up in the canyons above those rivers. They may flush straight away in the sagebrush flats similiar to pics posted above - and believe me they fly as fast and quick as any bobwhite. They may sail like a pheasant, but not often. If you catch them at the edge of a ridge they will be flying downhill at great speed (here is where you want to be just under them) but they will turn left or right really depends on which way the wind is - I have seen them fly around rocks and other cover similiar to a grouse. I have shot them similiar to driven game in Europe when my hunting buddy (Usually several hundred feet above me, flushed them) straight up and at incredible speed as they came over the top of me.

Plus, when they flush on you (even over my great setters) you may be at an akward angle, or you may have just climbed or walked several hundred yards over tough terrain, or gasping for air as you climb up to a point.

You also want to get on them fast, and shoot quickly because a wild chukar ain't waiting around for you. And if the chukar happens to flush into the wind and over a ridge it will likely fall several hundred feet from where you are. Making the use of a good dog necessary - or you are likely to spend alot of time climbing down to pick them up and climbing back up to resume the hunt.

How does this relate to muzzleloader hunting - Well, a few times I went out with my Tulle fusil de chasse - and I bagged a few using it - but they were wild birds. Not pen raised :barf: :)

3859dancer2.jpg
[/img]

I never said I shot WILD Chukkars. Everything you say is true. However, when they do flush in front of pointers, they fly as I describe. They are fast, and you have to get on them. But, unlike Pheasants, who rarely take advantage of brush, trees, etc. and instead climb to catch the winds to escape, the penned raised chukkars we have here do act more like you expect both quail and grouse to act. They are definitely sporting to shoot, and good to eat.

None stand out with a bullseye on their chests, and a sign that says, " Shoot me!" over their necks. The way some people talk down game preserve hunting, it makes you wonder if they have a clue what they are talking about at all.

I have never shot driven Pheasants, as they do in England. Those birds are usually flying high overhead, like pass-shooting geese and ducks here. Once in awhile, when you are blocking the end of standing corn, or sorghum fields, the drivers will send birds out from more than 50 yards in front of you, and you might get one of those high passing shots. Then, only, do you get an idea of what English "Shooting " is all about.

Your idea of "sporting" and mine are way different. I train dogs professionally, I shoot pen raised chukar with every gauge - down to and including .410 shotgun, literally 100s if not 1000s of them since I started training dogs in 1985 as an amateur and later as a pro.

Pen raised chukar are not sporting - in fact, many times I have actually flushed the bird - looked back at the dog "Whoaed" him to ensure steadiness, turned back and killed the bird. If you miss them often you are a lousy shot.

I think you are a big blowhard at times, speaking/writing on subjects you have at best very limited knowledge of and speak as though you are an expert. A real wild chukar hunt would at least educate you some and generally causes people to either love hunting them or hate it and never go back. :thumbsup:

Silent Sniper...good hunt and good photo...thanks for sharing by starting this thread
:thumbsup:

Silent Sniper - I am glad you got out and got to do this. Perhaps, one day you will be able to go to ID, OR, WA, CA or NV and hunt wild chukars in their own terrain - You may enjoy it. :thumbsup:

When I first came to NV I was told about Chukar hunting - "The first time you go, you go for the sport. From then on you're going for revenge." :grin: I have found that to be true.
:haha:

Mr. Hickam: Your experience tallies with mine exactly. I do not think there is a tougher game bird to collect than a chukar from the steep basalt river breaks of the Far West. Each one bagged is cause for great satisfaction as a chukar is earned with aching lungs, sore legs and humbled perseverance. Glad the little buggers are so tasty!

Yes, they are and worth every sprained ankle, scraped knees and all that goes along with it. The more hours you spend up there, the more you appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Back