• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MVT FIREARMS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How are the MVT Firearms.Was lookin on the net and came across them.Do they spark any good?Could you replace the lock with another?Was wondering about the bess muskets in particular.Are they worth the money?Any help is appreciated.
Here is their site.[url] http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEWmuskets.shtml[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
They are great for the money. They will have your typical Indian finish (sloppy finish, some ill fitting parts) but MVTC guarantees their locks for life.
My brass barrelled blunderbuss from them sparks up a storm!
[url] http://www.elyfamily.com/video/blunderbuss2.wmv[/url]

you could clear a bar room with that thing easy..... I should never have watched that video, now I want one.

Russianblood said:
They are great for the money. They will have your typical Indian finish (sloppy finish, some ill fitting parts) but MVTC guarantees their locks for life.
My brass barrelled blunderbuss from them sparks up a storm!
[url] http://www.elyfamily.com/video/blunderbuss2.wmv[/quote][/url]
Looks like it works great.What kind of wood do they use for the stock?

It is some type of white wood. Friend of mine just got a first model Brown Bess from them, and we shot it Sunday. They do spark very good. I believe there is a bit of extra wood in it's profile, but one could re-do it. It is also muzzle heavy with the bayonet attached. The bore is nicely polished. We will be shooting it some more this week.

They don't have a vent liner, just a hole drilled through the barrel. You could drill and tap it for a liner if you wanted to.

That Roger's Ranger Musket looks an awful lot like the Bess Carbine, I got from the birthday boy, only this one is a real PEACH. Off hand it shoots minute-of-buffalo and breaks clay birds as well as my SxS 11ga. And it's purtier than the MVT.-- Bill in OR

The wood used in those guns is teak aka "rosewood".

For the money I think they are great, but it depends on your needs... they do spark well, are heavier in weight due to the teak and excess wood left on the guns. They also don't taper the barrels like the real Besses were.

Now, as a Scottish reenactor, we toss our muskets down after one shot (AKA the Highland charge) and I'd rather toss a $500-600 musket than a custom one on the ground... like I've been doing with my battered custom musket for the last 11 years... :shake:

I have both a PC custom musket and a MTVC blunderbuss. The MTVC sparks better than my custom fusil, trade gun, or long rifle....

Cheers,

DT

P.S. Loylist Arms imports their guns unfinished so they do the last bit of wood work and finish them with a better wood stain/finish than the Indian made guns would normally come with.

Both companies are good to deal with.

DT

I had a bit of a problem with the lock on my Bess, but Pete made good on it with no problem. Like one or two other posters noted the finish isn't the best so that does need to be redone. I simply sanded mine down a bit, remving a bit of excess wood along the way, hit it with a walnut stain, and finished it off with a couple of coats of Tried and True beeswax/linseed finish.
As far as shooting goes a .715 ball with home done linen patches over 100 grs of 2f works real nice, the gun itself is heavy enough that you can put the powder to it and it will soak up alot of the recoil.

Thanks for the help.One of their guns is on my wish list.Got some side jobs coming up maybe I can swing it.

Back